Q. Kindly advise how to recognize that someone has anxiety.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

What can someone do to be a supportive ally to a friend, family member, or partner who has anxiety? What are the common signs that your loved one might be suffering from anxiety? What are the different ways that anxiety can manifest itself? What are the most typical behaviors or symptoms? What are the most important tips for being a helpful and supportive ally when your loved one has anxiety? What are a few things you should not do or say when trying to support someone with anxiety? Kindly share your advice about how to recognize when someone close to you has anxiety.

#

To become a supportive ally to a family member or friend or partner who has anxiety one has to accept that he or she has the illness.

Anxiety is a psychiatric illness like any other disease or ailment. It should be clear in mind, and this helps to empathize with the patient. Patients feeling should be in one's mind to be a supportive ally.

Anxiety is a significant term and can manifest in a lot of ways. Anticipating things, worrying about minor things, developing a rapid heartbeat, trembling or body, chocking sensation in the throat, dizziness, butterfly feeling in stomach, etc., are the common presenting signs of an individual with anxiety.

Most commonly anxiety manifest as rapid heartbeat, tremors in the body, sweating, chocking sensation in the throat, slurred voice, dizziness, feeling of impending doom, etc. Worrying about minor things, anticipating bad in everything, avoiding situations that provoke anxiety, withdrawing from social situations, avoiding work, etc., are common symptoms one might show while having an anxiety disorder.

The first thing that I have already mentioned is to accept one's illness. Should try to follow behavioral model during anxiety. Ask the affected individual to breath deep and slowly. A glass of cold water also helps in relaxing the person.

Minimize the anxiety-provoking stimulus psychologically and disqualify its serious nature. Try to cut the anticipatory thoughts of the affected individual during anxiety.

One should never lose its cool with a patient of anxiety. Never lose temper. Do not say anything negative while a person is in anxiety.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|