Q. I had three anxiety attacks last night because of ringing sound in my ears. Please help.

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2020
Good day

My situation started yesterday after taking a shower yesterday. I climbed out of the shower and noticed I had this high pitched ringing sound in my ears. This sound is really causing me to panic ; last night I has 3 anxiety attacks because of it and I took 50mg Sressam tablet but it did not work. I still have the ringing in my ears today and I've taken another stressam about 1 and a half hours ago but it's not seeming to work. I'm afraid I might have an anxiety attack again tonight because of it. I've recently been placed on Acnetret for my Ance (7 days ago) but my Dr told me to stop it for a few days because I have been experiencing extreme back pain which I am still experiencing right now. I have been off the tablets for about 2 or 3 days and I dont know If this could be causing the high pitch (silence sort of noise) in my ears. Its causing extreme anxiety and unfortunately all Dr's rooms are closed right now.

Age: 15
Male
176 cm
164.8 kg

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgery Paediatrics
#

Hello

First of all, please know that ringing sensation is very common and prevalent. There are many suspected causes for ringing sensation in the ear. The most common ones being - wax impinging on the ear-drum, sudden, loud noise, moving into a quiet room from a noisy environment and so on. You say it started after a bath. Even water, soap, hair follicles within your ear, when come in contact with the ear-drum can cause such ringing sensation, although for a short duration.

This might have even attracted your attention to a symptom which might have been there even before, but was not noticeable. Sometimes, the medications you are on also can cause this ringing sensation. To be honest, there are lots of causes but no sure way of evaluating it.

So, my suggestion -

try diverting your thoughts away from this and try concentrating on some other work. When your thoughts are deeply immersed in something else, you will realise that you can hear the ringing sensation only if you think about it. You can also listen to music with ear-phones, with the volume of your device between 30-60% to get your mind off it. But please don’t do this all day. Give a gap of atleast an hour after listening for about 30 minutes. Also, it will probably not bother you when you are involved in a conversation with somebody, keeping your mind off it.

All said, there are certain rare causes also, which require systematic treatment, but I wouldn’t want you to worry about them right away. This symptom of yours has started all of a sudden and in all probability might disappear spontaneously as well. Do not get anxious reading about all the causes of ringing sensation on the Internet as it is bound to frighten you.

Try the above methods and tell me after 24 hours if there was any improvement at all.

|