iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatryanxietyI keep daydreaming and am unable to concentrate. Kindly help.

What can be done for daydreaming, loneliness, and lack of concentration?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 28, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 21, 2024

Patient's Query

I have never consulted a psychiatrist before, but according to what I have observed about myself, maybe I am suffering from maladaptive daydreaming, loneliness, lack of concentration as well as maybe depression. This is the peak time for me to make my career. I only have two years left to do something in my life and get my dream job. But as per my condition, I do not think that I will be ever able to do so. I cannot concentrate on my studies at all. Even a sixth or seventh class student studies more than me. Earlier my condition was still controllable but now it is getting more and worse, and on top of it, I am a drama addict. So basically, I spend almost my entire day either daydreaming or watching dramas. Kindly help.

I can understand your problem but need more information to conclude. The symptoms of poor focus, lack of concentration, etc., can occur in depression but these are not sufficient to make a diagnosis of depression. Low mood, reduced energy, lack of interest in day to day routine, etc., are seen commonly in depression. Daydreaming could be due to poor focus and underlying anxiety. If you are not able to function normally, then please visit a psychiatrist for evaluation. Have high protein and low-fat diet to remain alert. Take supplements containing vitamin B12 and D, and this will improve your focus. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Patient's Query

I do not like to do anything. Earlier I was an active person, but now I am always dull. I have started distancing myself from my family members. My daily interaction is only approximately one hour. I feel irritated if someone even tries to talk to me. I do not have many friends still I do not like to talk to them and avoid their calls. My concentration has decreased so much that I have to read a single line two to three times to understand it, earlier it was not like this. And I get distracted very easily. It may not look like a serious problem to you, but it is affecting my life.

The symptoms you have mentioned like reduced interaction even with family members, reduced social interaction with friends, irritability, poor focus, reduced concentration, etc., points towards some mood disturbance. Sometimes such symptoms are also seen in anxiety disorders too. Anxiety could also cause poor focus and distraction. Do you have any intrusive, unwanted thoughts in mind that are resulting in distraction? Do you have any symptoms of low mood, bad ideas like self-harm, reduced energy throughout the day, change in sleep like daytime drowsiness and insomnia in the night, lack of interest in anything? A lot of females at your age suffer depressive symptoms, but that does not mean that you have a depressive disorder. Hormonal issues, relation to the menstrual cycle, etc., also worsen the mood symptoms and result in mood swings. This point should also be elaborated. Please provide more details in follow up. Thank you.

Patient's Query

But, it has been more than seven to eight years. And now it is getting more serious for the past two to three years. I think that I do have anxiety issues since I cannot interact with people. I even prefer to do my work myself rather than to ask my maid and other home staff. I live with my family but still do not interact with them. I have never thought of hurting myself, but I do not even have a strong desire to live. But still, I will never attempt such things. I always feel sleepy. I do not have any lack of sleep issue. In fact, I have started eating and sleeping a lot. Because of which I am having weight gain problem. I feel good when I watch dramas or when I listen to music but these things trigger my daydreaming which will go on, and I spend hours on it, wasting my time.

The symptoms are pointing towards depression and associated anxiety. As mentioned, a lot of individuals have depressive symptoms. Since you are not able to function properly for the past two to three years and your social life is also getting affected, this cannot be ignored. Any associated cause that results in depressive symptoms in the otherwise healthy individual should be ruled out. You should get your thyroid function test (T3, T4, TSH: Thyroid stimulating hormone) done to rule out hypothyroidism. A lot of girls with reduced thyroid function show depressive symptoms like fatigue, tiredness, difficulty in focus. I would also advise you to get Vitamin B12 and D levels done. Low Vitamin B12 are commonly seen in depressive patients. This should be ruled out. Take Vitamin B12 supplements like Methyl cobalamin 500 IU daily for at least four weeks. This will help in improving functioning and will improve the focus. Take healthy meals rich in proteins and complex carbohydrates and low in fats. This will also reduce the risk of depression. Try to spend more time outdoors and do constructive activities that result in pleasure. Listening to light music also helps a lot. If these measures do not help, then please visit a psychiatrist for help. Depression should not be ignored. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui

Psychiatry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Psychiatry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy