Q. What can be done for daydreaming, loneliness, and lack of concentration?

Published on Mar 28, 2018

I have never consulted a psychiatrist before, but according to what I have observed about myself, maybe I am suffering from maladaptive daydreaming, loneliness, lack of concentration as well as maybe depression. This is the peak time for me to make my career. I only have two years left to do something in my life and get my dream job. But as per my condition, I do not think that I will be ever able to do so. I cannot concentrate on my studies at all. Even a sixth or seventh class student studies more than me. Earlier my condition was still controllable but now it is getting more and worse, and on top of it, I am a drama addict. So basically, I spend almost my entire day either daydreaming or watching dramas.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I can understand your problem but need more information to conclude. The symptoms of poor focus, lack of concentration, etc., can occur in depression but these are not sufficient to make a diagnosis of depression. Low mood, reduced energy, lack of interest in day to day routine, etc., are seen commonly in depression. Daydreaming could be due to poor focus and underlying anxiety. If you are not able to function normally, then please visit a psychiatrist for evaluation. Have high protein and low-fat diet to remain alert. Take supplements containing vitamin B12 and D, and this will improve your focus.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I do not like to do anything. Earlier I was an active person, but now I am always dull. I have started distancing myself from my family members. My daily interaction is only approximately one hour. I feel irritated if someone even tries to talk to me. I do not have many friends still I do not like to talk to them and avoid their calls. My concentration has decreased so much that I have to read a single line two to three times to understand it, earlier it was not like this. And I get distracted very easily. It may not look like a serious problem to you, but it is affecting my life.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

The symptoms you have mentioned like reduced interaction even with family members, reduced social interaction with friends, irritability, poor focus, reduced concentration, etc., points towards some mood disturbance. Sometimes such symptoms are also seen in anxiety disorders too. Anxiety could also cause poor focus and distraction. Do you have any intrusive, unwanted thoughts in mind that are resulting in distraction? Do you have any symptoms of low mood, bad ideas like self-harm, reduced energy throughout the day, change in sleep like daytime drowsiness and insomnia in the night, lack of interest in anything? A lot of females at your age suffer depressive symptoms, but that does not mean that you have a depressive disorder. Hormonal issues, relation to the menstrual cycle, etc., also worsen the mood symptoms and result in mood swings. This point should also be elaborated. Please provide more details in follow up.

But, it has been more than seven to eight years. And now it is getting more serious for the past two to three years. I think that I do have anxiety issues since I cannot interact with people. I even prefer to do my work myself rather than to ask my maid and other home staff. I live with my family but still do not interact with them. I have never thought of hurting myself, but I do not even have a strong desire to live. But still, I will never attempt such things. I always feel sleepy. I do not have any lack of sleep issue. In fact, I have started eating and sleeping a lot. Because of which I am having weight gain problem. I feel good when I watch dramas or when I listen to music but these things trigger my daydreaming which will go on, and I spend hours on it, wasting my time.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

The symptoms are pointing towards depression and associated anxiety. As mentioned, a lot of individuals have depressive symptoms. Since you are not able to function properly for the past two to three years and your social life is also getting affected, this cannot be ignored. Any associated cause that results in depressive symptoms in the otherwise healthy individual should be ruled out. You should get your thyroid function test (T3, T4, TSH: Thyroid stimulating hormone) done to rule out hypothyroidism. A lot of girls with reduced thyroid function show depressive symptoms like fatigue, tiredness, difficulty in focus.

I would also advise you to get Vitamin B12 and D levels done. Low Vitamin B12 are commonly seen in depressive patients. This should be ruled out. Take Vitamin B12 supplements like Methylcobalamin 500 IU daily for at least four weeks. This will help in improving functioning and will improve the focus. Take healthy meals rich in proteins and complex carbohydrates and low in fats. This will also reduce the risk of depression. Try to spend more time outdoors and do constructive activities that result in pleasure. Listening to light music also helps a lot. If these measures do not help, then please visit a psychiatrist for help. Depression should not be ignored.

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

I have lack of concentration, memory problems and negative thoughts. Please help

Query: Hello doctor, I have symptoms related to the mind and body. I have no clarity in thinking. I cannot make any decisions. Even if I do, the moment I make the decision, I get negative thoughts and a sudden jerk in my mind with a sensation of fear. Also, I have on and off memory issues. It appears fine ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns.¬†Regarding the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I like to comment on the following things. Your vitamin B12 deficiency is corrected. There is excessive vitamin B12 in yo...  Read Full