Q. I feel difficulty in tasks with lack of concentration. How to approach my problem?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have been noticed some of my symptoms for a few years. A few people make comments that got ADHD and so I searched about it.

I feel difficulty in finishing a task in an appropriate time. I am always late and tired. I also interrupt other people for help, and my senior shouted me for this. For example, I study in school, and every year it gets too hard. I feel worthless, frustrated and wishing to die. I have a lack of concentration, hard to work and changing tasks without completing it. I think some psychiatric help is must here. Please help.

#

You report difficulties with attention, poor concentration overactivity, and impulsive behavior. These may be suggestive of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

ADHD may present since childhood but is more evident in the adolescent stage, as the academic demands get higher. You say you are in school. Even though you may be intelligent, if you have ADHD it may affect your educational attainment. No wonder it is causing frustration.

ADHD is increasingly recognized in recent decades. It is not a behavioral problem, it is a neurodevelopmental condition which is treatable. ADHD can be managed by behavioral support, and if symptoms are significant, then medication (stimulants like Methylphenidate or non-stimulants like Atomoxetine) will be helpful.

I will recommend discussing with your parents, family doctor about possible ADHD and get assessed. You can also speak to pediatric or psychiatric doctors in your school regarding the same.

|