Q. I feel difficulty in tasks with lack of concentration. How to approach my problem?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Feb 02, 2019

I have been noticed some of my symptoms for a few years. A few people make comments that got ADHD and so I searched about it.

I feel difficulty in finishing a task in an appropriate time. I am always late and tired. I also interrupt other people for help, and my senior shouted me for this. For example, I study in school, and every year it gets too hard. I feel worthless, frustrated and wishing to die. I have a lack of concentration, hard to work and changing tasks without completing it. I think some psychiatric help is must here. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You report difficulties with attention, poor concentration overactivity, and impulsive behavior. These may be suggestive of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

ADHD may present since childhood but is more evident in the adolescent stage, as the academic demands get higher. You say you are in school. Even though you may be intelligent, if you have ADHD it may affect your educational attainment. No wonder it is causing frustration.

ADHD is increasingly recognized in recent decades. It is not a behavioral problem, it is a neurodevelopmental condition which is treatable. ADHD can be managed by behavioral support, and if symptoms are significant, then medication (stimulants like Methylphenidate or non-stimulants like Atomoxetine) will be helpful.

I will recommend discussing with your parents, family doctor about possible ADHD and get assessed. You can also speak to pediatric or psychiatric doctors in your school regarding the same.

How to control my son's behavioral problems?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 5.5 years old with developmental delay, speech delay and poor motor skills. He is always hitting, biting and scratching other kids or me when he is upset for any reason. I do not know how to deal with this. I have tried many things, but nothing works. Also, he has a 9 year ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Young children with delayed milestones are at high risk of conditions like ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactive disorder) or autism or even behavioral problems. Probably, he needs a careful evaluation to find these problems. Having said that, try...  Read Full

I have difficulty in focusing and understanding verbal instructions. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am female, 21 years of age and as weird as this sounds, I always feel like I am so overfocused that I cannot really focus. I am very slow when it comes to verbal communication, it is something I have struggled with ever since I was a child. So when someone is verbally giving me inst...  Read Full >>

Dr. Parth Singh
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems from the information you have provided that you might be suffering from an adult variant of attention deficit hyperactive disorder, inattention type. Do you also have symptoms like repetitive acts or rituals, urge to repeat words or images, repetitive handwashi...  Read Full

Article Overview: This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common condition, and why ADHD should be treated. Read Article

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have met several people, including some doctors, who are skeptical about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and question the sudden rise in the number of young people being diagnosed with this condition. I believe that ADHD has always been there, but previously, it was not well recogn...  Read Article