Q. Is surgery needed to correct an aortic aneurysm of size 4. 9 cm?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am a 67-year-old male with a 4.9 cm heart aneurysm. I was advised to test every year, and also, no one had died in my family because of that. Can you let me know if I need surgery to correct it?

#

Can you please tell me what do you mean by a heart aneurysm? Is it an aortic aneurysm?

If there is no family history of aortic aneurysm or dissection, then only serial echocardiographies are needed. Once it is 5.5 cm or more, then surgery may be indicated. If you do not have familial or connective tissue disease, 4.9 cm will not cause any harm, but to be on the safer side, avoid lifting heavy-weight objects and doing heavy exertion.

Thank you doctor for your opinion.

#

If you have any query regarding heart-related issues, management of doses of cardiac medicines, risk factors reduction strategies, such as blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, cholesterol issues, ECG (electrocardiogram), echocardiography report interpretation, angiography, angioplasty, pacemaker, ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator), CRT (cathode ray tube), and newer developments in cardiac patient's care, you can consult me anytime.

|