Q. Do I have a higher risk of getting heart attack as my grandmother and father died due to it?

Dr. Vivek H Nanda
Published on Oct 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

I am a 15-year-old female. My grandmother, her parents, and two of her brothers, as well as my father, all died before the age of 50 because of heart attack. Do I have a higher risk of dying of a heart attack before the age of 50?

Dr. Vivek H Nanda

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

First of all, I would like to tell you that a strong family history of heart disease or heart attack does not place you at higher risk at all. So please do not worry about it.

Now medically, heart diseases do have some level of genetic inheritance, but nobody can assure you the same about heart attacks. Heart attacks occur due to various causes related to all systems of the body. So inheritance does not play any role here.

I can assure you that if you follow a strict diet routine along with 30-45 minutes of exercise or workout a day, including your cardio-exercises, then you will be fine. You are not at all on higher risk, and if you follow this routine with your BMI (body mass index) under 24 kg/m2, then you will never be at higher risk.

Chest Pain in Heart Attack

Article Overview: Many people fear chest pain of any type because they think it may be a heart attack. In this article, I have described when a chest pain should be taken seriously and when it should not. Read Article

Chest pain is very fearsome for common people due to its association with a heart attack. No doubt, chest pain should be taken seriously especially in old age and in those with risk factors for heart attack such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension, etc. But remember one thing that all chest pains are...  Read Article

Is heart attack genetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. My father who is 65 years old has suffered from two very severe heart attacks, one recently and another two years back. His father and brother both died in their 50s from heart attacks. Is heart attack genetic? Should my son and I get tested?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, heart attack has a genetic component coupled with environmental elements like lifestyle, etc. Your chance of acquiring it depends on both of your parents. Likewise, your son acquiring it depends on you and your husband. But you are at an increased risk, so you...  Read Full

I am a teenager and I feel my parents hate me. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 14-year-old female. I always have this moment where I am complained and scolded. This always happens with my parents and I always feel bad and it always makes me think "Do they hate me? Am I not good enough for them? Am I a maid for them? " I also ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your parents need family therapy from a psychologist. If you cannot do this then accept it. If you cannot change the situation then change yourself. You can make good friends, develop good hobbies like painting, reading books, learn music and dance, lea...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now