Q. Do I have a higher risk of getting heart attack as my grandmother and father died due to it?

Dr. Vivek H Nanda
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

I am a 15-year-old female. My grandmother, her parents, and two of her brothers, as well as my father, all died before the age of 50 because of heart attack. Do I have a higher risk of dying of a heart attack before the age of 50?

#

First of all, I would like to tell you that a strong family history of heart disease or heart attack does not place you at higher risk at all. So please do not worry about it.

Now medically, heart diseases do have some level of genetic inheritance, but nobody can assure you the same about heart attacks. Heart attacks occur due to various causes related to all systems of the body. So inheritance does not play any role here.

I can assure you that if you follow a strict diet routine along with 30-45 minutes of exercise or workout a day, including your cardio-exercises, then you will be fine. You are not at all on higher risk, and if you follow this routine with your BMI (body mass index) under 24 kg/m2, then you will never be at higher risk.

|