Q. I have some burn like injury on my inner cheek. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. Purva Jingar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have a small section of skin starting from the bottom of my inner gum to halfway up the flappy skin piece on the lower part of the tongue. It is not very bad looking. It appears as if it is just a normal burn from some hot food or drink, though I do not recall ever burning myself. It occurred sometime between before two days, which also happens to be a period in which I had diarrhea and no appetite. It is not super red and seems normal in color, has dead white skin on the surface that I can easily rub off with my finger. My primary concern is that there is more pain than I usually have from a burn, especially while chewing. There has been minimal oral sex within the past month, and neither she or I have had any sexual relations with anyone else.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • It may be some ulcer or due to cheek cut (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We cannot say anything until you visit a nearby dentist. Maybe you have drinking habit that can cause such skin cut.
  • Do not rub it as it may cause serious injury. Also, avoid eating from that particular side for a few days.
  • Use honey over it for better results, but the last option is to visit a dentist to rule out the primary cause and the characteristic of the lesion.
  • Avoid spicy food and follow a healthy diet. Avoid smoking too and clean your mouth twice daily. Look for any sharp tooth that can cause injury to the gum.
  • Use Dentogel (Benzalkonium chloride and Lignocaine) for curing or anti-ulcerative gel that is available in your country.
  • The dentist may ask you for biopsy or will just prescribe medicine like gum paint to cure it. Also, tell me if you have cured of this in three days.

The Probable causes:

Sharp tooth, drinking alcohol and smoking.

Investigations to be done:

Biopsy if needed.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Chemical burn.
2. Aphthous ulcer.

Probable diagnosis:

Aphthous ulcer.

Treatment plan:

Smile gel.

Preventive measures:

Quit smoking, drinking, spicy food and chewing from the particular side.

Regarding follow up:

Revert after three days to a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have acidity and constipation after quitting smoking. Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »

Will a curling iron leave a burn scar?

Query: Hello doctor,I burned myself with a curling iron. It did not appear bad at first but a scab is forming. Will the burn leave a scar?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.