Q. I have some burn like injury on my inner cheek. What is it?

Dr. Purva Jingar

I have a small section of skin starting from the bottom of my inner gum to halfway up the flappy skin piece on the lower part of the tongue. It is not very bad looking. It appears as if it is just a normal burn from some hot food or drink, though I do not recall ever burning myself. It occurred sometime between before two days, which also happens to be a period in which I had diarrhea and no appetite. It is not super red and seems normal in color, has dead white skin on the surface that I can easily rub off with my finger. My primary concern is that there is more pain than I usually have from a burn, especially while chewing. There has been minimal oral sex within the past month, and neither she or I have had any sexual relations with anyone else.

Do you have a question on Aphthous Ulcer or Quitting Smoking?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Purva Jingar

BDS
Dentistry

• It may be some ulcer or due to cheek cut (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We cannot say anything until you visit a nearby dentist. Maybe you have drinking habit that can cause such skin cut.
  • Do not rub it as it may cause serious injury. Also, avoid eating from that particular side for a few days.
  • Use honey over it for better results, but the last option is to visit a dentist to rule out the primary cause and the characteristic of the lesion.
  • Avoid spicy food and follow a healthy diet. Avoid smoking too and clean your mouth twice daily. Look for any sharp tooth that can cause injury to the gum.
  • Use Dentogel (Benzalkonium chloride and Lignocaine) for curing or anti-ulcerative gel that is available in your country.
  • The dentist may ask you for biopsy or will just prescribe medicine like gum paint to cure it. Also, tell me if you have cured of this in three days.

Sharp tooth, drinking alcohol and smoking.

Biopsy if needed.

1. Chemical burn.
2. Aphthous ulcer.

Aphthous ulcer.

Smile gel.

Quit smoking, drinking, spicy food and chewing from the particular side.

Revert after three days to a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you have stopped smoking. But, the withdrawal symptoms do not manifest as acidity. Although it can cause constipation, but not after a month of quitting. Your cholesterol levels are high and it is the cause for persistent GERD (gastroesophageal reflux dise...  Read Full »

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?
Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, it is normal to have hard stools after quitting smoking for that you have to add a salad, do exercise, and take enough water. It is a temporary phenomenon which usually settles in three months till intestines adapt nicotine free blood. You h...  Read Full »

I burned myself with a curling iron. Will it leave a scar?
Query: Hello doctor,I burned myself with a curling iron. It did not appear bad at first but a scab is forming. Will the burn leave a scar?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears to be a superficial burn but there is a risk of a superficial scar. It will not be very prominent and can go with time as you grow. I suggest you apply some ointment...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now