Q. Burning sensation during urination worsens after stopping the medicine. What test will urologist suggest?

Dr. Gopinath

Recently I have been having burning with urination and just burning in my urethra in general, sometimes even when I am not urinating. A month ago I went to the doctor's office with UTI symptoms and blood in my urine and was told I did in fact have a bladder infection and was given Ciprofloxacin. A couple of weeks after being off the Ciprofloxacin I began having the burning that I am now. The burning got worse after intercourse and even worse once I started my menstrual cycle. I went back to the doctor's office for a urine test, assuming it might be the same infection that just did not go away but was told my urine was perfectly healthy and there was no sign of infection. The doctor recommended seeing a urologist. I am concerned as to what sorts of tests the urologist will perform and what possible conditions I might be suffering from? What can I expect from my first visit to a urologist and what are some of the possible conditions that I might have?

#

From the symptoms, I feel you have a urinary tract infection. Since a course of antibiotics is given already you need a urine culture test and ultrasound abdomen. Culture-specific antibiotic has to be given. If a culture shows no growth it may be due to a condition called interstitial cystitis. More than three urinary infections a year need continuous drug prophylaxis. One or two UTIs per year are common and need no worry.

UTI.

Urine culture and USG (ultra sound) abdomen.

Interstitial cystitis.
Ureteric stones.

UTI.

Another course of antibiotic.

Drink plenty of water, genital hygiene following intercourse.

|