Q. My uncle's child has anemia and leukopenia. Can a bone marrow transplant treat this?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 30, 2020

My uncle’s child has some blood-related problems as his hemoglobin is only 5 points. He was admitted to the hospital and did his bone marrow biopsy. The report is not good. His RBC has severe anemia microcytic type, and WBC has leucopenia, and platelets have thrombocytopenia. The doctor suggested the treatment of a bone marrow transplant. Can someone please help if it is correct, or we need to prefer some other treatment? It would also be great if someone can help with the estimated cost for it and the life expectancy of the child.

#

I just went through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have provided. I could only find one report of peripheral blood smear. Based on the history provided and CBC (complete blood count), there is a possibility of Aplastic anemia. The treatment for which is ideally a bone marrow transplant. But before that, the aplastic anemia should be confirmed. The ideal remedy is allogeneic transplantation. And if done early, the life expectancies or chance of survival or permanent cure is above 90%. The cost will depend on where the transplant is done and other complications. If you could provide reports of the remaining investigation, I would be able to answer you better.

Thank you for the response.

Let me attach some more pages I got. It would be great if you can take a look and provide more information. Is it cancer or something else?

Thanks.

#

Based on the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided, it looks like aplastic anemia. Firstly it is not cancer. You can think like; the body is not producing adequate blood. Before going with a bone marrow transplant, one needs to be sure that it is not due to any reversible cause like viral infections, to rule out possible genetic etiology (based on some blood and bone marrow tests). If the diagnosis is specific, then the best treatment is a bone marrow transplant. And more than 90% of children can do well over the long term.

|