Q. Can Vitamin B12 improve my low platetlet count?

Dr. Smrita Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a history of low platelet count for the last 15 years. My latest count was 4000 cells per microliter. I have not undergone any treatment for this problem. My B12 level is 26.2 pg/ml, biological reference interval is 25.1 - 165, serum ferritin is 12.0 and hemoglobin is 11.0. I recently read that there is a relation between Vitamin B12 and platelet count.

Should I start Vitamin B12 therapy to check whether it improves my platelet count?

#

Vitamin B12 deficiency is a very rare cause of thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) and usually, the counts are not very low as in your case. Since your vitamin B12 levels are towards the lower range of normal and bordering on deficiency, you can take vitamin B12 supplements. If your platelet count does not improve, you need to get a proper hematologic assessment done to determine the cause.

Your serum ferritin levels are very low and your hemoglobin is also low. You can take iron and folic acid tablets as well to help with your anemia.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Can you please suggest a name of Vitamin B12 supplement?

#

Elferi XT (elemental Zinc and Ferrous ascorbate) tablet, Folferon (Folic acid, Vitamin B12, B9 and elemental Iron) tablets, Globac Z (Iron, Folic acid, Cyanocobalamin and Zinc sulfate) capsules. You can take any one of these.

|