Q. How can I get rid of major depressive disorder?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Depressive Disorder or Insomnia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 19-year-old female with 170 Ibs, currently on 30 mg of Cymbalta. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and insomnia. I have had three major depressive episodes in the past two years, and I feel like I am on the verge of another one. I had an appendectomy eight days ago and was prescribed Hydrocodone to manage the pain. I am still taking all of my regular medications, but I stopped the Hydrocodone four days ago.

I feel hollow, incredibly sad, and very lonely (even though I am not alone). I am also having disturbing and very vivid dreams, which only increase the feelings of isolation and sadness. I eat healthily, exercise lightly, and manage my stress well. What can I do to fight off this impending depressive episode?