Q. How can I get rid of major depressive disorder?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 19, 2019

I am a 19-year-old female with 170 Ibs, currently on 30 mg of Cymbalta. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and insomnia. I have had three major depressive episodes in the past two years, and I feel like I am on the verge of another one. I had an appendectomy eight days ago and was prescribed Hydrocodone to manage the pain. I am still taking all of my regular medications, but I stopped the Hydrocodone four days ago.

I feel hollow, incredibly sad, and very lonely (even though I am not alone). I am also having disturbing and very vivid dreams, which only increase the feelings of isolation and sadness. I eat healthily, exercise lightly, and manage my stress well. What can I do to fight off this impending depressive episode?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

You have undergone appendectomy recently, and it is normal to develop mood disturbance after any surgery. You are already on the major depressive disorder, and this is the reason you are feeling bad, isolated, sad, and lonely. Wait for few more days and see if spontaneous improvement occurs. If the mood gets worsened, then the dose of Cymbalta can be increased. For sleep, any good Benzodiazepine can be taken, which will help in calming you.

How to overcome the feeling of hopelessness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55-year-old man. I have been suffering from depression for the last five months. I have been feeling tired and hopeless. I want your help for recovery. I am currently on Fluvoxin 50 mg BD.  Read Full »

Can Etizolam be used for inducing sleep?

Query: Dear Doctor, All my life (since as far back as I can remember in early childhood) I have struggled with chronic insomnia. I have tried every sorts of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment you could imagine, having seen at least seven doctors over 15 years. I have tried everything from z...  Read Full »

Is there a permanent solution for repeated depressive episodes?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 32 years old and he got his first depressive episode five years back due to business stress. After that he is undergoing depressive episodes every year. He becomes fine after taking anti-depressants and does all his work normally. But again after few days depression repe...  Read Full »