iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersVascular Surgeryarterial blood clotWhat could happen if my husband continues cycling with this external iliac artery occlusion?

My husband loves cycling and has iliac artery occlusion. What will happen if he does more cycling?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Preetha. J

Published At September 28, 2020
Reviewed AtJanuary 31, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My husband is a fit and healthy cyclist aged 45 years. Following months of lower performance and leg numbness, we visited a vascular surgeon. An ultrasound Doppler showed a 1.96 inches occlusion of the left external iliac artery. ABPI (Ankle-brachial pressure index) for the left is 0.6, and ABPI for the right is 1.4. The collateral circulation is so developed that my husband can still ride at a level better than most; although he gets a numb leg, he rides with it. We were told that an aorta-femoral bypass is a surgical option, but after he would never ride again due to possible graft kinking. My husband loves cycling, particularly mountain biking, so he does not want surgery. My questions are, could he do any more harm if he keeps riding, even if he gets a numb leg? The surgeon we saw just said not to overdo it, but we need more specifics. What could happen and what is overdoing it? I cannot see if the external iliac is completely occluded what more harm could be done (our surgeon has gone away for an extended period, and we need to know). Thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Sugandh Garg


Welcome to icliniq.com.

This condition must not be taken casually. If your husband continues cycling, complications may arise, further worsening his condition. The clot size may increase, causing further occlusion of the said vessel and can hamper the blood supply to the area where this artery is going to cause additional damage to other organs. Another major complication is that the clot might get dislodged from the said site, get into any other major vessel, organ (heart or brain, or other vital organs or blood vessels of the heart or brain), causing severe complications. The ultimate and permanent cure will be surgery only. Medical treatment is only temporary. He may try taking antiplatelet or antithrombotic drugs if his blood tests are normal, and he is advised to go for them. They will help avoid any further clot being formed and might help dissolve the existing one though doubtful. You may try alternative medicine if you are adamant for not getting the surgery done, though I cannot commit to such treatment with surety. It is just a trial, physiotherapy, or yoga or pranayama as his health and body permits. You may follow up for further details.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sugandh Garg
Dr. Sugandh Garg

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Vascular Surgery

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy