Q. What are my chances of becoming a father?

Answered by
Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am a 32 year old male married for five years. My wife and I are trying for a baby for the last two and a half years with no luck. My wife had gone for an HSG and other tests and her reports are all good. My semen analysis was fine too. We had gone for IUI thrice with no luck. Now, four days back, I had gone for a computer-assisted semen analysis (DFI) and the results were shocking. I was diagnosed with asthenoteratozoospermia. Please find attached my detailed report. Please let me know if there is any chance of me becoming a dad. I am heartbroken. I did doppler scrotal, anti-sperm antibody, testosterone two years back and the reports were alright then. Should I take Zinc or Vitamin supplements? How is my chance with ICSI (IVF)? Should I do any chromosome related screening test? Please advise.



Welcome to

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your report, you have asthenoteratozoospermia.

  • Also, your report shows pus cells.
  • Now, I suggest the following: 
  1. Get a semen culture done to rule out an infection in the semen which may cause asthenoteratozoospermia. 
  2. Yes, you can definitely try tablets to improve the fertility.  I suggest you take tablet Popson (Coenzyme Q10), one tablet twice daily for three months. 
  3. As your wife's reports are normal, there are good chances that she will conceive with ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection). But, try ICSI after three months. 
  4. If there is an infection in the semen report, you will require antibiotics
  5. Also, antibody tests like MAR (mixed antiglobulin reaction) or IBT (immunobead test) is recommended to know the exact cause of the problem.

For more information consult an andrologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Are there abnormalities in my semen analysis reports?

The semen count is normal, but the motility is decreased ...   Read full

From our medical reports, please suggest whether to opt IUI or IVF?

From your semen analysis report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is evident that you have astheno-teratozoospermia with chronic bacterial infection and it is the reason for p...   Read full

Please advise regarding my HSG results and my husband's semen analysis.

.. read and understood your problem. (attachment removed to protect patient identity) However, I would like you to answer a few questions so that I can help you better. Did you get a pelvic ultrasound scan done? Your HSG report says tubes visualized...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Malaria Prevention Using Monoclonal Antibodies
A recent phase 1 study proved monoclonal antibodies effective in preventing malaria. Read the article to know more.  Read more»
Surgical Ostomy - Types, Causes, Procedure, and Complications
This article briefly discusses ostomy, a surgical procedure where an opening is created between the segment of the gastr...  Read more»
Rotavirus Infection - Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Rotaviruses are among the most common causes of severe diarrhoeal disease in young children worldwide. Read the article ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Andrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.