Q. Will I be able to become a father inspite of having asthenoteratozoospermia?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 15, 2019

I am a 30 year old married man. I had cryptorchidism, and so had removal of testes in childhood. Now I am married. And recently I had gone for semen analysis, which shows asthenoteratozoospermia, the sperm count of 20 million and few pus cells. Will I be able to become a father or should I go for adoption.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

If both the testes were removed or a single one? Your sperm count is normal it should be more than 15 million, you have an infection, so do blood sugar PP and semen culture and sensitivity test. What is motility percentage? Meanwhile keep away from heat, chemical, smoking zones. Avoid laptop on lap. Wear loose undergarments and keep your testes cooled by pressing them with a wet towel for 5 to 10 minutes daily. Eat green vegetables and tomatoes.

Take Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Folic acid tablets daily for three months. You can become a father if motility is more than 40 % otherwise with IUI, in the present scenario. There is no need for adoption, because if both the testes are removed, then you should not have sperm in semen.

Only one testis is removed. One is intact, and that is the reason why I underwent tests and all. My motility percentage is 36. I have attached the semen analysis.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

Then your situation is not hopeless, and there is a fair chance of pregnancy. Motile sperm count is 7.2 million (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it should be more than 6.0 million. Do the tests suggested above.

Thank you so much doctor.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

In the report sperm count is 32, not 20 as mentioned by you, so your motile sperm count is still higher at 11.5.

Inspite of taking Vigour tablets, my sperm count did not increase. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. It has been 11 years since I got married and have one daughter aged 9 years. My main concern is my wife is not getting pregnant. She is undergoing gynecology checkup. All her test reports are normal. I am much tensed at this moment. I think my sperm count is low and no...  Read Full »

How to increase sperm count?

Query: Hi doctor,My semen result is as follows: Volume 2 mL, pearly white in color and viscous, 30 minutes liquefaction time, 20 millions/mL sperm count, 45% motility, normal morphology 70% and abnormal morphology 30%. Is there any issue with my semen report? Is there any abnormality that will lead to prob...  Read Full »

Do subserous fibroids affect fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I am trying to conceive. Three subserosal fibroids and left fallopian tube is pulled up with adhesions. My husband's semen analysis was reported as asthenoteratozoospermia. Please help us.  Read Full »

Ask an Andrologist Now