Q. How to maintain sperm count through treatment?

Dr. Deep Dutta
Published on Dec 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. I am taking HCG 5000 and HMG 150 injection twice a week. My sperm production has started from azoospermia. We have done IVF and it was successful. My doctor asked to take testosterone injection, but if I take this my sperm production will be stopped. I want to know how to keep sperm production active. Please let me know the available option to maintain the sperm. I heard about Clomiphene citrate 50 mg or Enclomiphene citrate 25 mg treatment. Please help me with that.

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and HMG (human menopausal gonadotropin) are excellent choices to ensure a good sperm production, which is needed for fertility that you have achieved.

However, this treatment combination rarely leads to normal testosterone levels, which is needed for good muscle mass and general well being.

Testosterone injections will be ideal for the same, cheaper and easier to take. Yes, it will reduce your sperm count, which is reversible once it is stopped.

Hence, unless you want to have a second child soon, there is no rationale to continue the difficult regimen of HCG and HMG injections.

You can conveniently switch to testosterone injection now. Then a few years later, we can stop the testosterone injection and go back to HMG with HCG if you plan a second child.

Clomiphene citrate will not help in hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

I want to keep the sperm production till the delivery. I am fine with taking injection once in a week. What is the main difference of Clomiphene and Enclomiphene?

Dr. Deep Dutta

#

Clomiphene will not work for you. It needs an intact hypothalamic pituitary testis axis to work.

You do not have that because of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and you do not have LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) production from your pituitary for Clomiphene to work.

That is the reason you are getting HCG and HMG injections, which mimic the work of LH and FSH produced from pituitary.

If you wish, you may continue this treatment of HCG and HMG till delivery. It will not cause any harm.

I got period in mid follicle stimulation cycle. Is it fine?

Query: Hi doctor, I was going through follicle stimulation. My doctor started with Siphene 100 mg for five days, moved to FSH injections 75 for five days and when there was not enough growth in follicles she asked me to inject Humog 75 for two days. However, I got my periods the day I took the first Humog...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Getting periods in between only means that the follicles were not healthy enough. This is usually triggered by poor ovulation induction. Endometrial growth depends on the estradiol release from the follicles. So if follicles are not good, estrogen levels are not correct...  Read Full

What are the root causes for blood in urine when pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is eight weeks pregnant and she is seeing blood during urination. Her first delivery was C-section. Our regular doctor two days ago suggested injection and medicines. Even after taking that injection and medicine, she is feeling pain in the abdomen occasionally and blood in the ur...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After having gone through the ultrasound reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), It is evident that your wife had experienced threatened abortion with separation of placenta at the lateral aspect of the gestational sac as evident from the second ul...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now