Q. How to maintain sperm count through treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Deep Dutta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am suffering from hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. I am taking HCG 5000 and HMG 150 injection twice a week. My sperm production has started from azoospermia. We have done IVF and it was successful. My doctor asked to take testosterone injection, but if I take this my sperm production will be stopped. I want to know how to keep sperm production active. Please let me know the available option to maintain the sperm. I heard about Clomiphene citrate 50 mg or Enclomiphene citrate 25 mg treatment. Please help me with that.



Welcome to

HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and HMG (human menopausal gonadotropin) are excellent choices to ensure a good sperm production, which is needed for fertility that you have achieved.

However, this treatment combination rarely leads to normal testosterone levels, which is needed for good muscle mass and general well being.

Testosterone injections will be ideal for the same, cheaper and easier to take. Yes, it will reduce your sperm count, which is reversible once it is stopped.

Hence, unless you want to have a second child soon, there is no rationale to continue the difficult regimen of HCG and HMG injections.

You can conveniently switch to testosterone injection now. Then a few years later, we can stop the testosterone injection and go back to HMG with HCG if you plan a second child.

Clomiphene citrate will not help in hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

I want to keep the sperm production till the delivery. I am fine with taking injection once in a week. What is the main difference of Clomiphene and Enclomiphene?



Welcome back to

Clomiphene will not work for you. It needs an intact hypothalamic pituitary testis axis to work.

You do not have that because of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and you do not have LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) production from your pituitary for Clomiphene to work.

That is the reason you are getting HCG and HMG injections, which mimic the work of LH and FSH produced from pituitary.

If you wish, you may continue this treatment of HCG and HMG till delivery. It will not cause any harm.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My sperm count is zero. Can I go ahead with ICSI?

Due to that my sperm count was zero ... I took semen analysis test at two centers and it shows sperm production has started ... As the count...   Read full

How can I conceive with polycystic ovaries?

I would suggest to consult a gynecologist and take proper following medication, once your doctor has examined you and have ruled out any other cause she may start you on Progesterone pill to support the pregnancy, Clomiphene citrate to help induce th...   Read full

What are the root causes for blood in urine when pregnant?

The fetus is alive and growing correspondingly compared to previous scan, hence the doctor must have given her progesterone and hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) injection with advise for complete bed rest to assist supporting preg...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Nipah Virus: Stay Safe from This Deadly Disease
The recent speculation about the spread of the Nipah virus in a Southern State in India has surely brought jittery feeli...  Read more»
What to Do When Someone Turns COVID-Positive At Home?
COVID-19 pandemic has affected so many people, and many of them are advised for home care. This article explains the pre...  Read more»
Guidelines for Management of COVID-19 In Children
Amidst the concerns that children will be the target in the third wave of COVID-19, they have come up with certain guide...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.