Q. Can I take Prednisolone for asthma?

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

I have recently been diagnosed with sever adult asthma. I am waiting for my allergy assessment. I am on Singulair, Nebulizer four times a day (helps for an hour or so), three inhalers and nothing works. The only thing that makes me feel normal is Prednisolone. What can I do? I know I cannot take Prednisone forever, but it is the only thing that makes me feel normal.

#

• The thing is it takes one to two months to stabilize asthma in the case of taking inhaled steroids.
  • Please confirm whether your inhaled drugs contains Fluticasone or Beclomethasone as these are inhaled steroids for asthma.
  • I suggest you Prednisolone 40 mg once a day for a week, then 30 mg for next week then 20mg for next and then 10mg and 5 mg and stop. By that time your inhaled steroids will begin to work.
  • Also, I suggest you oral drugs like tablet Deriphylline retard 300 mg twice or tablet Doxofylline 400 mg twice a day.
  • In addition to the above, I suggest tablet containing Montelukast with Levocetirizine daily at night for a month. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment for asthma with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|