Q. Even after taking inhalers, why do I continue to wheeze?

Published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have taken Albuterol and Advair twice a day for about a month now without any relief of my wheezing. Even right after I take my inhalers, it is like I took nothing. Allergy pills do not seem to help much either, like Claritin or Zyrtec. They even did an x-ray of my chest and said everything looked fine. So my question is, why do I always feel short of breath? Why do I continue to wheeze so much? I have always had asthma, but never this severe.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Asthma, as you would be knowing, forms a part of airway hyper-reactive disorders. The latter is a spectrum of diseases genetically determined.
  • I would suggest to my patient to use Albuterol 100 mcg per dose, taken four times daily. It has to be followed by Advair 500/50 (combination of Fluticasone and Salmeterol) after 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Advair also to be taken four times initially and gradually tapered over 15 days, followed by Advair 250/50 again gradually tapered over 15 days.
  • Montelukast, which is available as single preparation and also in combination with anti-allergics, is very helpful in reducing asthma. It may be taken one tablet daily till your symptoms recede.
  • A short course of oral steroid like preparation, Deflazacort 6 mg taken twice daily and tapered over a week also helps tremendously in removing the airway inflammation.
  • If however, you have tried all the above and still do not find respite, you must subject yourself to some blood tests and take nebulized forms of the medicines.
  • Nebulisation at a hospital (or at home) is more effective than inhalers which you may be using. A short course of antibiotic can also remove any offending organism in your respiratory passages that may be causing the lingering wheeze.
  • It goes without saying; you must avoid or stop alcohol and smoke till you get completely better.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

| 

What causes frequent sneezing, wheezing and cough during cold climate?

Query: Hi doctor, I have frequent sneezing during cold climate. I have wheezing and cough. I used several medicines for seven years. I have no problem with the heart, and I do not have asthma.  Read Full »

Dust and perfume make me cough. How can I get better?

Query: Hello doctor,Since many years, I am facing a sinusitis problem. When I catch the flu, it gets worse. This time, I caught the flu twice this month. The sinustis got worse and I visited a doctor who prescribed me with a course of Fexet, Klaricid, and Ventek. He said that I need to take Ventek for thr...  Read Full »

Why does my 2 year old breathe as if he ran a marathon?

Query: Hello doctor,My 2 year old breathes as if he ran a marathon, coughs a lot and I hear a wheezing sound.  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now