Q. Can Strattera be taken with Effexor?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jun 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have been taking Effexor XR 300 mg for depression. It has been working really well. My psychiatrist has now prescribed me Strattera for ADHD. I am about to start 25 mg and work my way upto 80 mg over a few weeks. Strattera and Effexor both seem to inhibit Norepinephrine reuptake. Is it safe to take this combination? I know my psychiatrist knows what he is doing, but I wanted to get a second opinion from others.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You may know that Effexor XR is effective against depression and Strattera is used to manage ADHD. Sometimes both are prescribed together when you have ADHD along with depression. Your psychiatrist is following a safe approach of starting on a low dose of Strattera (Atomoxetine) and gradually titrating up the dose depending on your response and tolerability. Continue regular review appointment with your prescribing psychiatrist while the dose of Strattera is being titrated up. If there is any side effect, it can be picked up early and dose adjusted accordingly.

What can be done to manage hyperactivity in an autism child?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 7 years old. Diagnosed with mild autism when he was 3. Currently, showing hyperactivity, unable to sit still without supervision. Seems restless all the time. He has delayed speech development. He is not on any medication but under behavioral therapy.  Read Full »

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

Article Overview: For the first time, a team of researchers was able to demonstrate a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Read Article

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Nutritionist

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). A research team published a very interesting study demonstrating for the first time, a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Children who ...  Read Article

What is the treatment available for adult ADHD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am just curious here. I fully believe I have adult ADHD, and being that I was diagnosed at 11 with it, would this help my case for medication with a psych?  Read Full »