iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatryattachment disorderHow can someone be brought out of sorrow of losing a dear one?

How to help cope with the loss of a loved one?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 26, 2018
Reviewed AtMay 2, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My mother lost her father who she loved very much. Though the incidence was about five to six months back, she is not able to come out of the sorrow. She always remains depressed. We are trying our best to cope with her, but the situation is not improving.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It might be that she might be suffering from adjustment disorder due to loss of a loved one because of which you are seeing these symptoms. It happens at a late age when you lose your spouse. But you should be careful that it does not proceed ahead. Also, please let me know if she also has any medical comorbidities like diabetes or hypertension and is she on medicines for any of these, whether she has thyroid issues? As it is known to cause depression-like symptoms. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Akanksha Sharma
Dr. Akanksha Sharma

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

sad moodattachment disorder

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy