Q. Am I suffering from any thyroid disorder?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old male. My height is 5'9" and weight is 92 kg. I got tested for thyroid yesterday and got an antithyroid panel test today. My reports are attached. Am I suffering from hypothyroidism or any thyroid disorder? Do I need to start medication?

#

• From the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it shows hypothyroidism.
  • Are you a known hypothyroid? Has the treatment for your thyroid issue already been initiated?
  • Do you have any other symptoms like constipation, mood changes, intolerance to cold temperatures, hair loss, increased fatigue and dry skin?
  • Did you notice any thyroid swelling or nodular growth? Did you get your FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of thyroid or free T4 done?
  • Do you have any positive family history of hypothyroidism?
  • High level of TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) clubbed with high titers of anti-thyroglobulin signifies Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition. It is a condition where our immunity attacks our own thyroid cells, leading to release of Tg into the blood and formation of anti-Tg.
  • Well to confirm your hypothyroid status you need to go for free T4. If free T4 is low, treatment needs to be initiated at the rate 1.6 to 1.8 mcg/kg of Thyronorm early in the morning on an empty stomach and need to be followed for life.
  • As Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a histological condition, diagnosis FNAC of the dominant nodule needs to be performed for confirmation.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|