Q. Am I suffering from any thyroid disorder?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old male. My height is 5'9" and weight is 92 kg. I got tested for thyroid yesterday and got an antithyroid panel test today. My reports are attached. Am I suffering from hypothyroidism or any thyroid disorder? Do I need to start medication?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• From the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it shows hypothyroidism.
  • Are you a known hypothyroid? Has the treatment for your thyroid issue already been initiated?
  • Do you have any other symptoms like constipation, mood changes, intolerance to cold temperatures, hair loss, increased fatigue and dry skin?
  • Did you notice any thyroid swelling or nodular growth? Did you get your FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of thyroid or free T4 done?
  • Do you have any positive family history of hypothyroidism?
  • High level of TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) clubbed with high titers of anti-thyroglobulin signifies Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition. It is a condition where our immunity attacks our own thyroid cells, leading to release of Tg into the blood and formation of anti-Tg.
  • Well to confirm your hypothyroid status you need to go for free T4. If free T4 is low, treatment needs to be initiated at the rate 1.6 to 1.8 mcg/kg of Thyronorm early in the morning on an empty stomach and need to be followed for life.
  • As Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a histological condition, diagnosis FNAC of the dominant nodule needs to be performed for confirmation.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, who in the last six months began to experience thyroid symptoms. I am in the process of looking for a new physician, but I live in a very remote area with a significant shortage of medical professionals, so I am in a lot of ways on my own here. My mother had h...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipatio...  Read Full »