iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatryattention seeking behaviorNot receiving love from my parents. Please advise.

I feel lost as my parents are not caring me equal to my brother. Please help.

I feel lost as my parents are not caring me equal to my brother. Please help.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Manjunadh M

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 26, 2017
Reviewed AtFebruary 12, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a girl 20 years old. I am the eldest in my family, and I have a 7 year old brother. I am always fighting with my family. My parents nowadays do not care about me, and they were only thinking about my brother. I believe that my brother is the main reason for everything. I want my parents to understand their children and be a friend to them. I do feel at times that I am not their real daughter. They never understand my feelings. I am shy, not good in social and have difficulty to open up my problems and feelings. I always think negatively about myself. I have no self-confidence and have stage fear. I get angry easily. Please help me.

Answered by Dr. Manjunadh M


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. It is pretty common for a family especially when there is a small kid to give more attention to him. Most often it is not deliberate. I understand you are facing difficulties because of that. My advice to you will be to see things in a positive perspective. You are very young and have a long way to go. Most often we tend to feel down because we depend on others. You should understand that our life is in our hands and we can make it the way we wish to. From now on, start making a list of things you want to do and try working to achieve that. Stop feeling diffident about yourself. Try to go and talk to a person whom you wish to befriend with and finally stop spending more time at home. Let the family miss you so that they will start giving you more attention. Finally, your brother is just a kid, and you have a lot of responsibility to look after him. Try to spend some quality time with him too. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Manjunadh M
Dr. Manjunadh M


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy