Q. How is autism in adults diagnosed?

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

I want to ask about autism in adults. I am a 21-year-old adult. I have a confirmed diagnosis of anxiety disorder. I have done much research and searched online about autism. I viewed some possible symptoms of autism online. Some of them told me that I have it. I have also done some research and found that I have a high possibility to have autism. I am willing to seek a medical professional to confirm the diagnosis. Please suggest.

#

I understand your feelings. Autism spectrum disorder causes problems in three main areas. It causes problems in social interactions, verbal and nonverbal communications, and changes in repetitive or ritualistic behaviors. The common symptoms of autism in adults are difficulty in interpreting other's thinking or feelings, problems in interpreting facial expressions, body language, or social cues, difficulty in regulating emotion, unable to maintain a conversation, their facial expression does not match their feelings, rigidity during conversations, repetitive or routine behaviors, restricted range of activities, strict consistency to daily routines and there are outbursts while having a change. If you have any of these symptoms, then you can consult a psychiatrist to confirm the diagnosis.

|