Q. How is Asperger syndrome named today?

Published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

I was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome when I was 13 years of age. I am 22 now. How does the DSM-5 change that disorder?

#

Asperger was previously regarded as a separate disorder, but now it is categorized as a form of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in DSM-5 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder).

ASD includes,

1. Autism.
  2. Asperger disorder.
  3. Childhood disintegrative disorder.
  4. Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified.

By the current DSM-5 criteria, individuals previously diagnosed with Asperger syndrome would be diagnosed as having ASD without language or intellectual impairment.

This is because; previously when Asperger was introduced in 1994, it was distinguished from autistic disorders as there was no delay in language and general cognition.

But now it is put under autism spectrum disorders because there is no evidence of different response to treatment or of a distinct cause in Asperger syndrome versus high functioning autism.

Previously Asperger's was diagnosed only if they did not meet the criteria of autistic disorder, so to resolve this confusion both were kept under the same umbrella of ASD.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Which is better for moderate OS ASD - medicines or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, we came to know that my mother has a congenital heart disease (moderate OS ASD with left to right shunt) at the age of 46. And we consulted the doctors. One of them said it can be cured by medicines and another said surgery will be a better option. So, please help us as soon as...  Read Full »

Autism: Seeing the World from a Different Angle

Article Overview: This article is intended to raise awareness about autism and its different manifestations, and how they can be effectively managed. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Autism is a group of similar conditions that affect communication, interaction, behavior, language skills, and development. It is now referred to as autism spectrum disorder due to the broad range of symptoms and variations in its severity. That is, it may be so mild that the child can go well into ...  Read Article

I do not show my emotion at any time. Is that due to anxiety or social disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have some form of social disorder. I do not have feelings like others. I do not feel empathy but can be empathetic on cue as I know the social cues. And I prefer to keep to myself. Can you please advise where I can be diagnosed? I have always thought it was anxiety as this...  Read Full »