Q. Is autism the cause of my 5-year-old son's behavior change?

Dr. Anuj Khandelwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2020
My son is 5 yrs old a male 45 lbs and 3foot 4 inches he is extremely sensitive to loud sound when he is angry he lashes out at who ever he is angry with troughs and brakes things. When you try to talk about or work things out with him he ignores you like your not even there. Also he wa as well on his way to being potty trained he was going to thr bathroom all the times no accidents he was getting up to go to the bathroom at night wiping on his own . Hs went and stayed with a family member for a couple of days and when he came home he was having accidents in his pants when ask why he didnt yours the toilet he said that he can't or that he didnt want to now it's to the point I have tried to offer him things for useing the bathroom but he hasn't really pooped in the toilet ever since and this has been going on for almost 2 years now... what could be causing him to lose interest could it be autism
#

Autism is a spectrum and not just one or two symptoms. As you have mentioned that after a visit to a relative he started not going to poop in toilet so it can be the cause. Children don't say anything but observes and learn. So may be rather than asking why you may use different parenting techniques so that he starts pooping again in toilet. Giving favours for getting things done is like a bribe which is a wrong thing for a child to learn. I usually recommend that if you want the child to do things as you want than first do things as the child wants. Means first get involved with the child in games and things like cartoons on television. Spend quality time with child and than after a month or so use that time as a positive reinforcement for getting him change his habbit. Lastly to diagnose a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder requires a detailed history and observation by doctor.

|