Q. What dosage of Azithromycin can be given to a kid to cure fever?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 30, 2019

I have a 6-year-old son and he weighs 18 kg. He has a tonsils infection. He has a high fever and I am giving him Meftal P every eight hours and Paracetamol three times daily after food as per prescription. Also, the doctor prescribed Azithromycin 200 mg syrup for him. But, from the medical shop, I got only Azithral 60 mg/mL. What is the dosage I can give to him? Please help. Of note, last month also he had tonsillitis and a fever.

#

Azithromycin dose for children is 10 mg per kg single dose per day for three days.

So, you can give a total of 180 to 200 mg per day that is 3 mL of 60 mg/mL syrup once daily for three days.

I would suggest you go for Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) than Azithromycin for tonsillitis. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

The dose of Amoxyclav will be 440 mg/mL 5 mL twice daily for five days.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

So, the dose of Amoxyclav will be 440 mg/mL which is 5 mL twice daily for five days? Can this dosage be given to a 1-year-old child too? She weighs 10 kg. Now my younger one also has started tonsils problem. She is refusing to eat and take milk.

#

Yes, you can give Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) to your younger one too.

But the dose will be half of what you are giving to the elder one that is 220 mg/5 mL twice daily for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

|