Q. Do Levofloxacin and Azithromycin tablets cause any side effects?

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Mar 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 30, 2019

I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 46 kg. Over the last seven months, I am suffering from fever along with chest and back pain. I also have body ache and little blocked nose but not runny nose. The mucus keeps coming out from my mouth. I have headache and I feel very tired. My stool is also not regular. It happens in every 3 days and I have no appetite.

I visited a doctor, who examined me and suggested Levofloxacin and Azithromycin tablets for 5 days, Nam Cold for 10 days, pre and probiotic capsules for 10 days, Pantoprazole and Domperidone tablets for 2 months along with a cough syrup, if necessary. My question is this that I have searched about Levofloxacin and Azithromycin tablets online and found these tablets have very bad side effects. It is mentioned that it increases the risk of death and serious cardiovascular disease.

So, I am very afraid to take these antibiotics. Will it increase the risk of death? I do not know what to do. Please tell me what I need to do. Is there any alternative medicine. And if I take this, will it affect my health badly? Is there any alternative home remedies or antibiotic medicines that prevents bacteria? I have not took any medicines yet. Please suggest.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

It is right that tablet Azithromycin might cause heart disorder like increased abnormal rhythm and this is seen usually in the elderly age group. At 19 years of age and if you have no known cardiac disease then you might take tablet Azithromycin. Tablet Levofloxacin is a safe antibiotic in adults. In your case the doctor has given a combination of tablet Levofloxacin and tablet Azithromycin.

Since mucus is coming out of mouth, you probably have a bacterial infection in the throat. There are alternative antibiotics like tablet Augmentin (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) or tablet Cefixime which have been used to treat upper respiratory infections. However, these medicines require prescriptions and to be taken in recommended dose.

If you have started taking tablet Levofloxacin and tablet Azithromycin, then you can continue it for five days without any significant risk. If you have not started the medicine then you can talk to your doctor and ask him to give tablet Augmentin for five days. Tablet Nam Cold (Pseudoephedrine) is to reduce cold symptoms and some people might feel drowsy after taking this medicine. Therefore, please avoid driving after taking this.

Pre and probiotic capsules will help in digestion. You do not have gastritis and vomiting therefore taking tablet Pantoprazole and tablet Domperidone combination for two months is not required. You can take this also for ten days and then stop.

Please have your meal on time and include vegetables and fruits. Your diet must include 2200 kilocalories daily with vitamins and minerals. When you get up in the morning you might drink a glass of warm water and this will help in proper stool habit. Cough syrup is not required for you.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.  Read Full »

For how long can probiotics be taken in abdominal problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from health problems for the last 10 years, mainly abdominal problem (excessive gas) and mood swings. Actually, I had taken two terms of nine months Rifampicin. After that, the digestion problem and mood swings continued. A lot of tests were done in different big hospit...  Read Full »

Natural Sources and Health Benefits of Probiotics

Article Overview: This article explains about probiotics, their health benefits, and natural sources of probiotics. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Probiotics are naturally occurring bacteria in our gut. The word 'Probiotic' is derived from a Latin word 'Pro’ meaning ‘Promoting’ and the Greek word 'Biotic' which means 'Life.' Probiotics are live microorganisms in the gut that have several health benefits. Many kinds of ba...  Read Article