Q. My baby is gassy and fussy all the time. Kindly help me.

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

My baby is only 43 days old. He is on breastfeeding only. I think he is having severe acid reflux as he is gassy and fussy almost all the time. He spits up and swallows it too. In the night, his nose gets congested. While feeding him he gags and chokes too. Whenever he does not fart he arches his body and cries a lot. His hiccups are lengthy too. He does not sleep in a deep sleep. Currently, I am giving him Colicaid (SOS) and Yamoo but it does not seem to work. I am burping him after each feed too. Kindly help me. Can I give him Bonnisan?

#

I understand your concern.

I think, you just have to make sure proper time duration and frequency of feeding.

Make sure, the baby is breastfed on one breast completely and then attached to another breast (frequently changing one breast to another breast or inadequate feeding to one breast can lead to loose motion as well as gas).

Keep a gap of two to three hours in between the feed (frequent feeding can lead to indigestion, overfeeding as well as a lot of gas).

Increase burping duration to 10 to 15 minutes or more. A decrease in burping duration can lead to nose block, which can lead to breathing difficulty as well as noisy breathing.

For nose block, you can put Nasoclear drops in each nostril, one to two drops. Whenever nose block is there, especially in the night.

Never breastfeed or feed in sleep or lying down position.

If the baby cries excessively in the night, (evening colic) you can give Colicaid drop 0.5 ml one or two times, especially in the night.

Make sure, the feeding position is proper, so that baby should not take in a lot of air during breastfeeding. Take help of online video resources on breastfeeding position.

If you follow above-mentioned options, I am sure baby will be alright.

No, Bonnisan is not advisable.

Yamoo is given for lactose intolerance. If it is not helping stop it.

Review after two days.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

I am doing whatever you have prescribed but there is no such improvement. He starts to cry in the evening and very much uncomfortable throughout the day. From the last two days, he has not passed stools. Whenever he tries to fart his sleep gets disturbed. The whole of my day is going just by holding him. That day I forgot to mention that he was having some stomach infection 15 days back and the lab test was showing Pus cells: 2-4. The doctor has advised me to give Enterogermina. After the course he is having constipation problem and gas. As a layman, I am so confused and getting into depression. Hope everything will be fine.

#

I understand your concern.

Do not worry about stools. Baby may not pass stool for two to three days.

How is his feeding now? If he is adequately breast feed there should not be a worry.

Pus cell 2-4 without fever is not of much concern. I would like to know the urine culture report, if it has been done.

Stop Enterogermina, it is not required.

Do you have any blood test?

Overt medication can complicate the things.

Continue breastfeed as advised.

If the baby is feeding well, no abdominal distention and passing adequate urine, then there is nothing to worry.

Look for perianal excoriation (redness), sometimes it can be very painful which can cause disturbed sleep and irritability.

If there is fever, the baby is not tolerating feed, or passing red colored stool, show to his doctor. We need to reevaluate for an intestinal problem.

Do not be stressed out about constipation if the abdomen is soft. As mentioned, the baby may not pass stool for two to three days or more.

Whenever you feel tense, your milk output can go down which again irritates the baby not having adequate milk. So, never get tense.

Whenever you feel uncomfortable regarding baby's condition, show to the doctor so that you are comfortable.

I would like to get an update.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Dear doctor,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Sometimes his abdomen gets distended and stomach gets tight. But it is not a usual event. I have not done any urine culture. But just after birth there was some blood infection (as TLC level was 16300) which got cured after antibiotics. Perhaps his problem underlying only with gas and acid. I will wait for more few days and will follow whatever you have prescribed. Kindly let me know is it safe to give Colicaid daily?

#

Yes, it is fine. Specifically in the nights, so that his sleep does not get disturbed. I will say, do not make it a routine. No need to give in the daytime.

| 

Dear doctor,

I have hereby attached the stool test report for your quick reference.

#

I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Not much of concern.

Is baby cow milk fed? Occult blood can be positive.

Yes, you can wait for two to three days.

Follow what I had advice.

Let us review after two days.

If really concern anytime show to the doctor.

For more information consutl a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|