Q. My 45 days old baby is fussy and aggressive while I feed her. What to do?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Published on Jan 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My baby girl is 45 days old. She is fully breastfed. At many times, she seems to be fussy and aggressive while I nurse her. I rule out either the possibility of milk being too fast or too slow since on both occasions she seems to react the same. After being fussy, she appears to be on and off from my nipple and screams when I pull her off from my breast and cries when offered milk. After crying for a few minutes, I swing her and she goes back to sleep. Her crying is so painful to watch. Can you help me with this?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• This is a common problem most mothers will face. The success of breastfeeding involves the participation of both mother and baby. Both of you have to learn to feed. I suggest you a few tips for a successful breastfeeding.
  • Let your baby lie in a straight line. Both baby's head and body should be in a straight line and fully supported. Baby's abdomen to be in contact with mothers and baby's face be turned towards breasts.
  • Look for proper latching. Baby's mouth should be fully open and only the upper part of areola be visible.
  • Feed from each side at one time till emptied and go for alternative breast the next time.
  • After every feed, put the baby on your shoulders to make the baby burp before going back to sleep. Please feed only breast milk till the completion of six months of age.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Please suggest formula milk for weight gain and overall development.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has completed four months. Please suggest the best formula milk for weight gain and overall development.  Read Full »