Q. How to make the baby have enough breastfeed?

Dr. Aamir Mohd
Published on Nov 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2019

Our baby is 1 month old. My wife is facing problem in breastfeeding as the baby is not taking the feed properly. This is our first baby and my wife is using a breast pump to take off her milk and giving it in a bottle. I want to know whether the use of a breast pump for a long time cause any problem to the mother. What are the other ways to make the baby have milk directly through breastfeeding? Also, will bottle feeding cause any constipation problem?

Dr. Aamir Mohd

#

• First of all, tell your wife to at least try to breastfeed for 15 minutes. Yes, it is difficult to feed first baby, but with experience it will become easy.
  • Tell her to put the nipple completely in his mouth by making a V-shape in her hand.
  • No, breast pump will not cause much problem. She can eject milk in a glass and give him by a spoon.
  • You can also start giving him top feed like formula milk.
  • The only problem the breast pump can cause is infection. So, sterilize it every time before she uses.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full »

My 18 weeks old baby is becoming irritable, crying, and biting her hands. Could this be teething?

Query: Hello doctor,My 18 weeks old baby appears to have less interest in her bottles. She is only drinking approximately 20 to 24 ounces of milk instead of the recommended 30 to 35. She has become more irritable, crying, biting her hands and tethers. When I give her a bottle, she drinks a few ounces then ...  Read Full »