Q. My 3-year-old daughter has constipation even after giving Lactulose and Miralax. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Nov 21, 2019

My daughter has constipation since she was 2 weeks old. She is now 3 years old, and constipation is still a huge issue in her life. She has been on Lactulose and now Miralax. The Miralax does not seem to be helping much anymore. We have seen four different GI's and none of them have any answers as to why this is happening to her. My baby girl needs help. She screams and cries when she has to use the bathroom and there is nothing I can do to help her. We massage her belly, give her plenty of apple juices, and prune juices. We have even increased the fiber in her diet and nothing is helping her situation. We have done Celiac thyroid and barium enema x-ray. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

From your history I would like to improve on the following facts:

Increase the intake of water being consumed by the child. I would advise consuming at least one to one and a half liters of water daily. Avoid consumption of any bread or bread products like cake, pizza, burgers as much as possible. You can limit their consumption to once a week to maximum twice if all is well.

Reduce the consumption of milk and limit it to 250 ml daily. The diet that you have explained above is fine. Continue the same with the above modifications as mentioned. You may need to give the child lactulose twice on a daily basis for a week or two with the above modifications to see the change. Above all, I would recommend to get the child examined physically to rule out any fissure that may have developed due to the hard stools and which is now preventing the child from passing stools peacefully. I hope this helps.

Though my baby is exclusively breastfed, why does he fail to thrive?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full »

I am not defecating in the morning, but I am urged to defecate after some time. Why is it so?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18-years-old. I am 52 kg in weight. My problem is I am not defecating in the morning, but I am urged to defecate after some time. The stomach does not become clean. And I also have metal allergies. The other problem is nausea and vomiting while traveling.  Read Full »

My kid cannot poop. What can I give her?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 2 year old female child who is struggling to have a bowel movement. She struggles and tenses up so hard to pass stools. Is there something that can be given to overcome this?  Read Full »