Q. Can we use Glycerin suppository twice a week, for my 2 month old daughter?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

My 2 month old daughter started passing stool irregularly, from the past eight days. She was passing a lot of gas, but it did not smell. Seeing no improvement, we took her to the pediatrician, who said she had gas in her stomach. So, he gave her Decolic, Neopeptine, and Glycerin suppository. When we came back home, we applied Glycerin suppository and had an immediate effect, and she passed a good amount of stool. It was yellow in color, sticky, and semisolid. But again after that, she did not potty for three and a half days. So, we again applied the suppository today, which made her potty. Is she suffering from constipation? Is this common, as she is exclusively on breastfeeding? Is the use of suppository safe for her? Will it cause any harm in the future? Is there any permanent and natural solution?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

This must probably be your first child, that is why this query.

• Please note that children under the age of six months may pass stools either 10 to 15 times a month or once in 2 to 3 days. And it is absolutely normal.
  • You should be worried only if the child has not passed stools, is vomiting, and has abdominal distention. Otherwise, it is fine.
  • Also, you can give Neopeptine (combination of Simethicone, Amylase, and Papain) and Decolic (combination of Diazepam and Dicyclomine), when required. No harm would be done.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

What if she does not pass stool for over 4 to 5 days, is it still normal? What does abdominal distention mean? She cries sometimes, and we immediately feed her, and she stops crying. So, it is not possible to know if there is any abdominal pain or not. Is there any way to find if she has an abdominal pain? Can we use Glycerin suppository twice a week?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Abdominal distention means the stomach is becoming very large due to no stools, and accumulation of gas.
  • It is not normal if it goes beyond three days, but it is fine as long as the warning signs that I told you about are not there.
  • The best way to find out if there is abdominal pain or no is by pressing on her tummy. And Glycerin suppository is safe to take.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

When do amylase and lipase levels become normal after heavy drinking episode?

Query: Hello doctor, I drank for five days heavily and was admitted to a hospital with hangover and heartburn. They took the test and my amylase and lipase were little high. Then they gave me medicines. Past one week, I am taking Panblock morning and night and Encremin. My health is alright now but my amy...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You had a mild attack of acute pancreatitis. The amylase level shoots first and slowly decreases over two to three weeks. Lipase shoots slowly. No point in checking it very often as it usually...  Read Full

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, this is an absolutely normal phenomenon in this age group. The child will pass gas like a big person. Do not worry. Regarding the use of Colicaid (Simethicone), it is an absolutely safe medicine. Please stick to it only when necessary. Also, you c...  Read Full

What is VSD?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 28 days old. During her normal check up, after Doppler echocardiography it is found that she has a small VSD. The doctor said that it is normal and generally by a year it will get cured. But, I would like to have a second opinion with you. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me try to explain you the diagnosis. VSD- ventricular septal defect, is a communication between the lower chambers of the heart, which in normal should not be present. The problem with VS...  Read Full