Q. Can we use Glycerin suppository twice a week, for my 2 month old daughter?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

My 2 month old daughter started passing stool irregularly, from the past eight days. She was passing a lot of gas, but it did not smell. Seeing no improvement, we took her to the pediatrician, who said she had gas in her stomach. So, he gave her Decolic, Neopeptine, and Glycerin suppository. When we came back home, we applied Glycerin suppository and had an immediate effect, and she passed a good amount of stool. It was yellow in color, sticky, and semisolid. But again after that, she did not potty for three and a half days. So, we again applied the suppository today, which made her potty. Is she suffering from constipation? Is this common, as she is exclusively on breastfeeding? Is the use of suppository safe for her? Will it cause any harm in the future? Is there any permanent and natural solution?

#

This must probably be your first child, that is why this query.

• Please note that children under the age of six months may pass stools either 10 to 15 times a month or once in 2 to 3 days. And it is absolutely normal.
  • You should be worried only if the child has not passed stools, is vomiting, and has abdominal distention. Otherwise, it is fine.
  • Also, you can give Neopeptine (combination of Simethicone, Amylase, and Papain) and Decolic (combination of Diazepam and Dicyclomine), when required. No harm would be done.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

What if she does not pass stool for over 4 to 5 days, is it still normal? What does abdominal distention mean? She cries sometimes, and we immediately feed her, and she stops crying. So, it is not possible to know if there is any abdominal pain or not. Is there any way to find if she has an abdominal pain? Can we use Glycerin suppository twice a week?

#

• Abdominal distention means the stomach is becoming very large due to no stools, and accumulation of gas.
  • It is not normal if it goes beyond three days, but it is fine as long as the warning signs that I told you about are not there.
  • The best way to find out if there is abdominal pain or no is by pressing on her tummy. And Glycerin suppository is safe to take.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|