Q. Why is my child having wet cough and running nose often?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 2.5 years old is having a wet cough and running nose (no fever). It starts with a dry cough and in a day or two, converts to wet. The same process has been going on for a month. He stays healthy for 2 to 3 days and then falls sick. Advise medicine for current situation and supplements for immunity improvement.

#

What you are describing seems to be something like hyperreactive airway disease. In such cases, we initially give a trial of Montelukast for a few weeks to a month and look at the response. Based on the response, we may add steroids followed by inhalers (different combinations) (again based on response). This requires multiple follow ups and evaluation in the initial few stages till stability. Hence I would recommend you to go to your pediatrician and ask him about the above thought process that I have described.

|