Q. Can a child be frequently nebulized for cough?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

My child is 4.5 years old and very often he suffers from coughing problem which increases as the days passes. This time doctor has given Atarex syrup 5 ml twice a day. I have given one dose but he was coughing badly whole day. Then he has suggested to nebulize him with Budecort 1 mg and Asthalin repsule twice a day and with Asthalin only twice a day. In all four times a day of nebulization. My son is not asthamatic. So is he being given high dose? He has not given antibiotic and said if my son has fever or not eating anything then only he would suggest antibiotic. Please explain whether nebulizing child after 1 month or 15 days is dangerous or not as he suffers from cough very often.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I can understand your concerns. If your child has cough for so long time and he is also requiring nebulization, it means that your child has infection. Also, we need to rule out tuberculosis. I suggest you to do CBC with ESR, X-ray chest, Mantoux test to rule out tuberculosis.

In my opinion, you should give:

1. Syrup Augmentin duo 5 ml three times a day for 3 days.

2. Syrup Chericof 5 ml three times a day for 3 days.

3. Syrup Monticope 5 ml three times a day for 3 days.

Nebulise with Budesal 0.5 mg three times a day for 2 days followed by two times for 1 day. Review after 2 days. Take care.

|