Q. Newborn is passing motion nine to 12 times a day. Is it a worrisome condition?

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 25 days old and passing motion nearly nine to 12 times a day. What should I do? Should I go for any drops? Is it a worrisome condition?

#

Your son is absolutely alright. No worries.

Following things are to be taken care.

1. Baby should be exclusively breastfed.
  2. Ensure baby is passing urine adequately (five to eight times a day).
  3. Loose motions are normal in early days of life as it is a normal physiological adaptation process of the gut (gastrocolic reflex).
  4. If the baby is passing motion after every breastfeed and urine output is less than three times a day, then there is a concern. Get back to me if this is the case.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|