Q. My 4 month old baby is suffering from loose motion even after having Cefixime. Why?

Dr. Vishal Parmar

My daughter is 4 months old. She is suffering from loose motion for the last two weeks. The doctor already prescribed antibiotic Cefixime, but the condition is not much improved. Now she is pooping six to seven times daily, which contains mucus and color is green. A stool test shows 25 to 30 pus cells. Please advise us what to do?

#

I advise you to continue breastfeeding and prevent dehydration. It is unusual to have bacterial diarrhea in a four-month baby. Are you giving any top feeding? I mean other milk apart from breastfeeding like bottle feed? If yes, then please stop and give exclusive breastfeeding till six months of age. Please repeat stool test for reducing substance if possible. Have you given the rotavirus vaccine? Follow-up with the report. If you feel that she is sick, irritable, not taking feeds or not passing urine or anything unusual, then please visit a pediatrician as soon as possible.

Stool for reducing substance.

Dysentery or rotavirus.

Econorm sachets one (Saccharomyces boulardii) BD (twice daily) for three days,
syrup Zinc 2.5 mg once a day for 14 days, and
ORS (oral rehydration solution).

|