Q. Please suggest formula milk for weight gain and overall development.

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Published on Dec 28, 2017

My baby has completed four months. Please suggest the best formula milk for weight gain and overall development.

#

I am assuming you are asking for formula milk for a four-month-old baby.

May I suggest:

The best thing will be to continue breastfeeding until six months of age.

For a full term baby, I suggest Nestle NAN1 range - Nan Optipro HA 1 Gold. For a preterm baby Nestle Pre Nan.

Give breastfeeding as a priority. For overall development, no formula feed can replace it.

Every child is different. So, formula milk cannot be the best. It usually is a trial.

Other is from Abbott - Similac 1.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Is it compulsory to exclusively breastfeed our 10 months old baby at night?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby girl is 10 months old, and so far, we have been only breastfeeding her along with semi-solid food. Sometimes, mother's milk is not enough, and we do not know any alternative food to give at night. Yesterday night also she was hungry and crying, we got confused and eventually gave...  Read Full >>

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, biscuits have to be avoided as rightly mentioned. Formula milk can be given, but only when other homemade stuff is not available readily. There is no such thing as addiction to formula milk. You can continue breastfeeding up to two to three years. There is no need to...  Read Full

Can reduced feeding help cure 'pain while passing motions' in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one month old. Her birth weight was 3.6 kg. After 15 days, she weighed 3.8 and then later she weighed 4.2 kg. Now, her current weight is 4.35 kg. She seems to pass drop by drop motion of about 15 to 20 times a day and she has some sharp pain followed by some intermitten...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the lab reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need not worry. This is common in children of this age group. You need not reduce the amount of feeding nor you have to start any other medication. The report is also fin...  Read Full

Is it advisable to give formula to newborn for jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was born a week back. Upon leaving the hospital her jaundice levels were at 10.2. The follow-up appointment was yesterday and after doing a bilirubin test it went up to 11.2. The doctor stated I should start supplementing with formula as I am breastfeeding. However, she was...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to check the weight of the child and the hydration status of the child to comment on the reason for icterus. Also the blood group of the baby and mother should be known along with G6PD status. Another important factor that comes to play is breast milk jaundice...  Read Full