Q. My baby has severe vomiting after starting solids. Is this normal?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Published on Jul 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

Hello doctor,

My daughter is just five and a half months old and yesterday I started her on solids. Before that, she was exclusively on breast milk. I gave her a packaged wheat and apple baby food. Two hours after she ate it, she vomited everything out. So, the rest of the day I just gave her breast milk. I had mixed one teaspoon of the powder with 30 ml of water. Is there anything to worry about? Also, what can I give as a substitute? There is no sign of weakness or discomfort. Also her neck is not yet fully stable and she still cannot sit on her own unless supported on our lap. Is this normal?

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• At the age of five and a half months, a baby will sit only with support. Neck holding is attained only by three to six months. So, it is normal.
  • About the feeding, the ideal time to switch to weaning foods is when the baby completes six months. Until then breast milk is the best.
  • Wheat is not the right choice at six months. The baby should ideally be started with a homemade single-cereal baby food like rice or ragi (millets). Do not try any other new foods for the next two days. 
  • Start initially with a small quantity. Let it be quite thin. You can increase the thickness gradually over two to three weeks to make it semi solid. Increase the amount based on how much the baby accepts. Mashed fruits and vegetables can be introduced later when she starts taking semi solid food.

If vomiting has reduced and she is active, there is nothing to worry. Follow the instructions given. If there is vomiting even after that, please consult your pediatrician.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Please suggest formula milk for weight gain and overall development.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has completed four months. Please suggest the best formula milk for weight gain and overall development.  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am assuming you are asking for formula milk for a four-month-old baby. May I suggest: The best thing will be to continue breastfeeding until six months of age. For a full term baby, I suggest Nestle NAN1 range - Nan Optipro HA 1 Gold. For a preterm baby Nestle P...  Read Full

What ayurvedic medicine can be given to my little one to increase her alertness?

Query: Hello doctor, This is with regards to my daughter who is 2 years and eight months old. I have noticed that she is slow in activities. She is very laid back and relaxed. I have a feeling that she has an imbalance of vata, pitta, and kapha. I mean if she can be either low on pitta or vata as per my un...  Read Full >>

Dr. Raman Kaushik

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to know the following details about your daughter. Her birth history. Her current body weight. Her developmental milestones. Her interaction with peers. Please provide me these details. Revert with more information to an ayurveda specialist online --> https...  Read Full