Q. My 5 months old daughter did not roll since yesterday. Is it normal?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My daughter is 5 months old. She started rolling at her fifth month birthday. She rolled for two or three days. But, she did not roll since yesterday. Is this normal?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• A baby starts to roll or turn on its back at 5 months of age. Since your child has started to roll at 5 months, this is absolutely normal for this age.
  • In initial days, the movements are a bit slow which the child picks in a few days. So, you should not worry about this.
  • According to IAP guidelines (Indian Academy of Pediatrics), if a child starts to roll at around 20 days late then also it is normal and we usually do not do anything.
  • Other milestones like social smile comes at 2 months of age, recognizes mother at 3 months of age and neck holding comes at 3 months of age. If these milestones are achieved on time then you should not worry about this.
  • Head circumference should also be normal at 5 months, which is approximately 38 to 39 cm.
  • In my opinion, this is a normal behavior in child and you should not worry about this. Wishing your child good health.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

My 1 year old daughter is not gaining weight. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am the proud father of a baby girl, who is 1 year old. The problem is that we have noticed a very slow increase in her weight. She is almost a year old, but her weight is still 7 kg. I just want to know if there is anything we can do to know the cause of why she is having such a pro...  Read Full »

Is there a need to consult a doctor for jerks of a 7 months old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 months old baby boy is dropping down his head occasionally. Sometimes, he has some mild jerks. Jerks were at the time after his feeding or after he wakes up. That time, he just swallows or lick his lips with tongue. Otherwise, his activities are very normal. He can hear us, identify...  Read Full »