Q. My baby has loose motions and frequently vomits after a feed. Please help.

Dr. Simy Mathew

My 3-month-old baby is sick. He is not taking breastmilk but drinks a little water by spoon. He has loose motions. I have tried few medicines but he has not stopped vomiting frequently after feeding. I have tried giving antibiotics twice but it increased the loose motion and it does not go. Sometimes, he murmurs during sleep. He is fussy, needs company and want us to play and talk with him all the time. He feels comfortable only on sitting or lying on our shoulder. Please help.

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

Your child seems very fine because he has got a good weight gain. Now, coming over to your problems, your child is suffering from simple viral infection because multiple systems are involved like the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract.

To deal with the respiratory problem, I suggest Maxtra drops (Chlorpheniramine and Phenylephrine) for your baby 0.3 ml thrice daily for five days.

Put Nasivion nasal drops (Oxymetazoline) one to two drops both nostril thrice daily and use Nasoclear drops (Benzalkonium Chloride and Sodium Chloride) one to two drops in both nostrils five to six times. This will take care of the cold.

The baby is fussy and prefers sleeping on the shoulder because the baby's nose is blocked and is unable to breathe properly when he sleeps down.

Regarding loose stools, I suggest you get a stools routine and stool for reducing substance tests. If the reducing substance is positive, then you should give your baby Isomil. This is a lactose-free milk. This should be given for 14 days.

You can feed him using a bottle because spoon and Katori (cup) takes a long time to feed and the baby will get irritated. Just take care of the hygiene issue.

Antibiotics like Amoxyclav will cause loose stools. Although your doctor has prescribed it, in my opinion, it is not at all needed. If you have any more queries do message and ask.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|