Q. My 1 year old daughter is not gaining weight. What to do?

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

I am the proud father of a baby girl, who is 1 year old. The problem is that we have noticed a very slow increase in her weight. She is almost a year old, but her weight is still 7 kg. I just want to know if there is anything we can do to know the cause of why she is having such a problem of gaining weight. As of today, she has some white spots all over her body, and her urine frequency is like every 5 to 10 minutes. She passes stools three times a day. Please help us understand the problem. Is the problem genetic or something else?

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

Child Health Medical Oncology Paediatrics
#

• You have not mentioned about her birth weight. That will give us an idea about how much weight she has gained.
  • Our criteria for good health in young children are their feeding, sleep, and activities. If all these parameters are normal, there is nothing to worry. She will eventually gain weight. You have also not mentioned what does your pediatrician says about it.
  • Regarding white spots, I cannot comment, as I have not seen them, but children do develop many spots or rashes, but nothing to worry.

I hope you are satisfied with my answers. All the best.

Revert with more information to a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

Her birth weight was 3 kg. About the spots, we went to a dermatologist. The doctor said that the white spots are totally normal, and there is nothing to worry. This white spots can occur due to any allergy that existed in the mother's womb. Her activities are totally normal. She listens to rhymes and has her food. She knows when I am going out and when her grandpa is going out. She rides the bike alone with me.

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• I agree with you that her weight gain is not as expected. But, I can reassure you if the child is active as you mentioned, there is nothing to worry.
  • Just keep in touch with your pediatrician. He or she will guide you. Slowly, she will gain weight.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|