Q. How to identify if my baby is drinking enough breast milk?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

My daughter is 2 weeks old and she is sleeping all day. I have to force her to breastfeed and she will drink less and sleep again. She is awake in the night and having a good amount of milk in the night. She makes on average five to six wet clothes. I am worried as she is sleeping 7 to 8 hours as a stretch during the day without milk. I tried many things to wake her up, but all in vain. Even I tried to feed her while she is sleeping and she will drink less sometimes and most of the time she does not drink. I am not sure if she is getting enough milk and really worried. I need a help to understand how often I should feed her and how to wake her up to breastfeed. Also, how to identify if she is drinking enough milk? I checked with a local pediatrician and he said it is normal and let the baby sleep and drink when it wants. But, another pediatrician said I should feed her every 3 hours and should wake her up forcefully and feed her. I am very confused. I noticed that she is having a lot of gas in the stomach and she is struggling while it comes out and crying due to gas and also before passing urine. Is this normal?

#

I have gone through your query.

• I would say that what the other pediatricians have told you is true. This is normal with newborn babies till a few weeks.
  • Yes, they tend to sleep a lot and you need not worry about the sleep.
  • On an average, you have to breastfeed the baby for at least 10 to 12 times in 24 hours.
  • To check whether they are sufficiently fed or not, you have to check the frequency of urine and it should be minimum five to six times a day. The more they go the better it is.
  • When babies are hungry, they will definitely wake up and cry and it means that you need to feed them. There is no need to forcefully feed them.
  • As far as the gas is concerned, it is also a normal phenomenon in babies till they are 4 to 6 months of age. As they take breast milk they tend to take some air while sucking and this air forms the gas in the stomach and gives a bloating sensation to babies for which they cry.
  • There is no need to worry. Use drops like Colicaid or Neopeptine (Simethicone), which provide relief. Just relax and see your baby's feed as well as sleep. Do not be stressed.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|