Q. Why is the baby's butthole and its surrounding area red?

Dr. Samreen A Urooj
Published on Mar 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am the mother of a two months old baby boy. Last week I have noticed that my baby’s butthole and its surrounding area has turned red in color. I have been using pampers on a daily basis, but I have always made it a point to change the diapers within four hours time. I have been using rash cream to get rid of this rash but seems to have no effect. Is there something that I should do about it?

Secondly, after cutting my baby’s nails, I could see that his thumb has become a bit red in color, there is no swelling and he does not seem to have pain. Should I do something about it? Currently, he is taking Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) drops only.

#

There is no need to worry. I have gone through the pictures of your baby (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First of all, answering your first question, sometimes rashes appear due to dryness or lack of care. So, you can apply vaseline or Polyfax (Polymyxin B and Bacitracin) skin ointment on that area before using pampers and do wash your baby properly with lukewarm water and then apply vaseline and then pampers. This sequence of washing, drying, applying vaseline and pampers should be done every three hourly basis.

Coming to your second question regarding nail, there is nothing to worry. You would have cut your baby's nail deep which you did not realize at the time of cutting. So do the same. Apply Polyfax or Mycitracin (Neomycin, Bacitracin and Polymyxin B) ointment on affected nail only. Do it for three days and let me know.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

I am suffering from piles and infection around the anus. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from piles from nearly about a year. Suddenly yesterday, I felt pain around my anus, and I had 101 F fever. I saw that there is an infection around my anus.  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. What do you mean to say by piles? Is it painless bright red blood in stools? How do you know it is an infection? Do you have constipation? For an advice specific to your problem, please upload the past medical records and a detailed evolution of your sympto...  Read Full

Why has my baby developed a red ring around the anus?

Query: Hello doctor, This is for my 22 days old baby girl. In the last 2 days she has developed some red coloured rash in the area surrounding the anus area. She feels irritated while passing stools. I have attached the picture of the same. Please advise.  Read Full >>

Dr. Srinivas Gunda
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is called diaper rash, commonly called the nappy rash. If no loose stools are happening at present, this is a nappy rash. This is common in infants who wear diapers for daily use and without...  Read Full

My baby is suffering from rash on her neck, chest and face. What will be the issue?

Query: Hi doctor, My 8 months old baby is suffering from allergy or rash. First, it started on her neck, small tiny bump-like and then now appeared on her face, chest and all over her neck. What will be the issue? She had eczema before a month and was treated for the same.  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.There can be a few common reasons for this rash.Oil massage is the most common reason. If so, then please stop doing oil massage.Milk dripping down the chin and neck. This may happen when the child is feeding. If the milk stays there, in some children it may cause irritatio...  Read Full