Q. I get back pain up to rib cage while breathing. Is this because of menstruation?

Dr. S D Sinha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2020

I am a 23-year-old female. My lower back on both sides hurts when I move, and when I breath-in it gives sharp pain. I have tenderness on my right upper back until the rib cage. My lower right abdomen is also tender. I take Sprintec, and with no prior health issues. I am currently menstruating.

#

Since this episode is recurrent, you should get yourself investigated thoroughly and avoid stop-gap arrangements.

Investigations recommended include

1. Radiological ultrasound - abdomen and pelvis or even better a CT (computerized tomography) scan abdomen and pelvis.

2. Biochemistry - complete blood counts (CBC), urine routine, and culture.

3. Gynecological and urological checkup.

For pain, the following are recommended.

Take tablet Flavoxate 100 mg one tablet thrice daily for three days and Mefenamic acid 250 mg one tablet thrice daily for three days.

However, you may need a local doctor's prescription for the above medicines. Please check with local pharmacy stores nearby. Hence it is most advisable to visit a local gynecologist or a surgeon.

Ureteric spasm. Urinary infections or calculi. Lumbo-sacral disc prolapse

CT scan abdomen and pelvis. CBC.

Advised for the pain. For optimal treatment, investigations needed.

After investigations.

|