Q. My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar
Published on Sep 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• How often does she get UTI?
  • Does she have a fever now? How is the general condition?

Once this episode resolves, she needs an ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureters, and bladder) with PVR (post-void residual urine test) and micturating cystourethrogram (MCU).

A renal nuclear scan may be required depending upon the result of these investigations.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

She has an infection from the age of 5 years. She had a bad habit of holding her urine till she can. She does not have a fever now and she is healthy and doing all her regular activities. She is eating normally as well.

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

Firstly, we have to rule out a reflux, for which she requires an ultrasound and MCU once this episode of UTI settles.

So, what do we do now? Please prescribe the appropriate medicine. She sometimes complains of stomach pain as well. Apart from this, she is very normal and is attending to her regular activities like school, dance, and playing etc. She was never hospitalized. We just want the infection to clear fully.

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• I suggest you start her on an antibiotic. You can give her tablet Nitrofurantoin 50 mg twice a day for 10 days. I suggest you consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and then start the medicine with their consent.
  • After one week of taking the medicine, repeat the urine routine examination and culture.

What are the precautions to take in daily routine? And, which foods to avoid?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• She has to maintain hygiene. Avoid using public toilets as far as possible.
  • Drink lots of water.
  • There is nothing in the diet which needs to be given a consideration.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Firstly, urine analysis shows pus cells which points to urinary tract infection. Please let me know if she has any painful urination or frequency. Secondly, the CBC (complete blood...  Read Full

Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from a urinary infection for the last one week. I am unable to control urine. But, no medication is taken yet. I am a 34 year old female. My height is 154 cm and weight 76 kg.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.First get a complete urine examination done along with urine culture. Keep a good perineal hygiene.You may use some vaginal wash. I suggest you antibiotic like Levofloxacin along with tablet Darilong (Darifenacin) once a day to treat urine infection and control urine. Cons...  Read Full