Q. Is it possible to get back pain due to cyst in kidney?

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Dec 04, 2018

Last year when I had tested for routine medical they found a small stone in kidney. I took Cystone for a month. Last week I tested because of a mild pain in the back, they did scanning and some laboratory tests. I have attached those reports. The doctor suggested taking Cystone for 60 days. Just to have a better opinion could you please see my reports and advise. Also, the report shows a cyst. Is it problematic?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your query and the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would concur with the suggestion given by the doctor. The stones are currently too small to require any treatment. If you are only mildly symptomatic, the best is to continue with Cystone and drink plenty of water. Usually, these stones pass out with this itself. It would be necessary to check after 3 to 4 months with an ultrasound again to see whether they have been cleared. If they are still present, a decision on treatment can be taken at that time.

What about the cyst? Is there any issue with that? In the report, they mentioned the cyst.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

A simple renal cyst is a very common finding in ultrasound. Based on the characteristics mentioned in the ultrasound and the size of the cyst, you have nothing to worry about at all. It may not resolve with time, but it requires no treatment.

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full »

Ultrasound shows flushed out kidney stones. Why is burning still there?

Query: Hello doctor, I had UTI and kidney stones earlier. My ultrasound states that my pancreas are normal in size and echotexture and the kidney stones have been flushed out, but there is infrequent burning. Can you shed more light on the latter part (echotexture)? Currently, I am on ayurvedic medicines ...  Read Full »