Q. What causes pain in back and legs?

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal

Around 6 PM today I had really bad back pain all of a sudden, I have a cold. So I have been texting so I thought it was just that but around 10 or 11 PM, the pain started to shoot down my leg as well, it hurts when I sit and walk and lift my leg.

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Looking at your problem from very near, it would be sudden bending causing pressure on disc and protrusion to lumbar nerve causing shooting like pain on leg. The cold and even cough increase the inner disc pressure and causing nerve to more pressure which causes symptom worst. So I would recommend you to use lumbosacral belt on lumbar spine at lower back.

I would also recommend some medicine to take for this problem and follow up with MRI for further improvement. Zanaflex (Tizanidine 4 mg PO bid for 1 week, capsule Neurontin (Gapapentin) 100 mg PO bid for one week, capsule Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily for one week.

| 

Related Video

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full »

Is operation of disc necessary or can it be done by exercise?

Query: Hello doctor,Is operation of the disc necessary or can it be done by exercise?  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now