Back Strengthening Exercises

Is it advisable to do deadlift if you have a herniated disc?

Query: Hello doctor, Ten months back, I suffered from herniated disc. The pain was relieved after a month of rest. A week ago, I started gym again. Today, I did an exercise called deadlift with low weights. Now, I can again feel the tingling sensation in the same area though without any pain. Should I st...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Deadlift should be stopped and never done if you have a herniated disc. You can do all exercises in the gym with weights wherein your spine goes in extension. You can do flexion exercises of the spine but without weights. Sit with your back straight and do as many exerci...  Read Full »

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a localized numbness that we are bothered with. Disease starting from this region without any other associated symptoms is quite rare and without them we may not think of a systemic pathology right away. Have you tried nerve tonics? I suggest back strength...  Read Full »

Are there any tests available to check pelvic muscle weakness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from pelvic muscle weakness. I want to know is there any blood tests or any other diagnosis.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pelvic and lower back muscle weakness will give you symptoms of back pain and leg pain. You should do blood tests. Check for vitamin D and B12 levels. These blood tests are useful to check the vitamin levels in the blood which co-relates with muscle weakness of the body...  Read Full »

Why do I have back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have back pain for the past three days. I do not know the reason behind it. I usually sit in front of a laptop for 10 hours daily. I have the pain while sitting or standing or when I bend. I do not have it when I sleep at night on the floor. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Back pain comes from fatigued muscles. Your back muscle gets relaxed at night. So you do not have the pain at night. Sitting for long hours can aggravate back pain. Poor posture while sitting can also lead to back pain. Do back extension exercise, and sit only for 25 to...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Gabapentin for back stiffness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old unmarried male, and I have a back stiffness problem for more than three years. Everyone gives the says that my posture is not proper while walking. Two years back when I consulted a doctor, he suspected ankylosing spondylitis, but HLA-B27 was negative. After seeing...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis is a clinical and radiological diagnosis. The clinical criteria is a history of inflammatory back pain, and the pain is worse in mornings and nigh...  Read Full »

From the MRI, kindly explain the severity of my low back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I have low back pain, spasms, leg weakness, and neuropathy. I had an exacerbation five years before, and the current one is severe. I had MRI and blood tests. The reports are enclosed here.  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Your problem is sciatica, but it has not yet progressed to a severe stage.At this stage, you need rest and the following treatment. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.Tablet Aceclo SR (Aceclofenac) as needed, do not use c...  Read Full »

Can I maintain high arch without hurting my back during bench press?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it bad for the back if I keep high arch during bench press? Can it hurt the back?  Read Full »

Dr. Shwetanjali Gandhe

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. When you are arching your back excessively, it reduces the range of motion, and it makes the exercise so easier. The only disadvantage is that you will not use your muscles through a full range of motion, and a less strength is used. Also, remember the principle of indi...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of discomfort in my back?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing discomfort in my back. Sometimes, I would feel uncomfortable or heavy in my upper and lower back. There is also an extremely loud noise of bones rubbing together. It makes me think that this may be the reason for my poor posture. I find myself slouching all th...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In my opinion, the pain could also be due to muscular imbalance. As you said, it could be primarily due to bad posture. So improving posture can help you regain normal balance and get rid of pain and discomfort. I suggest you kindly do strengthening exercises for yo...  Read Full »

I have lower back pain in the mornings. Can you interpret my X-ray?

Query: Hello doctor, I have lower back pain in the morning and from recently, I cannot bend and I have weak legs and pain in the calves, hips, and hamstrings. I did some X-ray. Can you interpret it?  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your X-rays indicate changes of spondylitis in the form of disc space reduction and osteophytes. For the symptoms you have, I would recommend an MRI of the lumbar spine with whole spine scree...  Read Full »

How do I cure my burning upper back pain between the shoulder bones?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a burning like pain on the upper back of my body between the shoulder bones. It happens almost every day after sitting for long or when I lie down for quite some time. What could this be?  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The burning sensation in the upper back could be due to chronic bad posture and imbalance of the chest and back musculature strength. I recommend you to kindly check your posture and maintain it. Do some retraction exercises to help your upper back and neck. ...  Read Full »