Q. My dad has chronic back pain with high BP. Kindly help with medications for severe pain and BP.

Dr. Harshit Dave
Hello, I am reaching out for some treatment and pain management advice. My father has severe and chronic back issues due to a number of things and has had about 7-8 back surgeries. In a addition to that, he suffers from hypertension with extremely high BP a few times a week and his BP meds aren’t working for him anymore. He is prescribed many pain medications, however he is very hesitant in taking them when he needs to, resulting in an increased pain level and BP. How can I help him manage and balance these two critical elements? He is a 41 y/o man and is not overweight. Looking for insight as to how he can manage his BP levels and other options to treat the back pain besides taking and being prescribed opioids. Anything helps, thank you.
# Hi,
You need to consult a good physician and get your Fathers Blood pressure under absolute control.
Also talk to him, councel him and make him relax and calm that everything is going to be ok. The more stress he takes, higher the Blood pressure goes. Meditation can really help.
For chronic back pain- hot water fomentation twice daily and gradually start him on back physiotherapy- back strengthening exercises, core and abdominal exercises. Also postural exercises. 2 days physiotherapy wont help. You need to continue doing physiotherapy as a daily routine. Avoid heavy weight lifting, any work that aggravates pain. Continue this for 3 weeks and let me know the results.
Avoid excessive analgesics.

(The advice is on the assumption that your father is not having any radiating pain to his legs, no weakness of lower limbs, no tingling and numbness, no bowel bladder disturbances)

Physiotherapy, meditation, physician consultancy to control Blood pressure

|