Q. My dad has chronic back pain with high BP. Kindly help with medications for severe pain and BP.

Dr. Harshit Dave
Hello, I am reaching out for some treatment and pain management advice. My father has severe and chronic back issues due to a number of things and has had about 7-8 back surgeries. In a addition to that, he suffers from hypertension with extremely high BP a few times a week and his BP meds aren’t working for him anymore. He is prescribed many pain medications, however he is very hesitant in taking them when he needs to, resulting in an increased pain level and BP. How can I help him manage and balance these two critical elements? He is a 41 y/o man and is not overweight. Looking for insight as to how he can manage his BP levels and other options to treat the back pain besides taking and being prescribed opioids. Anything helps, thank you.
# Hi,
You need to consult a good physician and get your Fathers Blood pressure under absolute control.
Also talk to him, councel him and make him relax and calm that everything is going to be ok. The more stress he takes, higher the Blood pressure goes. Meditation can really help.
For chronic back pain- hot water fomentation twice daily and gradually start him on back physiotherapy- back strengthening exercises, core and abdominal exercises. Also postural exercises. 2 days physiotherapy wont help. You need to continue doing physiotherapy as a daily routine. Avoid heavy weight lifting, any work that aggravates pain. Continue this for 3 weeks and let me know the results.
Avoid excessive analgesics.

(The advice is on the assumption that your father is not having any radiating pain to his legs, no weakness of lower limbs, no tingling and numbness, no bowel bladder disturbances)

Physiotherapy, meditation, physician consultancy to control Blood pressure

| 

Related Video

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full »

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

I get back pain only when I gain weight. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male and single. I am getting pain on my back in recent days. I used to maintain my weight around 70 kg to 75 kg. Recently, after my kidney stone surgery my weight increased up to 80 kg. After an increase in weight, I started getting back pain when I walk for more th...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now