Q. Which is a better alternative than Ciprofloxacin for pink eye?

Dr. Anand Yattinamani
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

I am having conjunctivitis (pink eye) for the last two days. Currently, I am using Ciprofloxacin eye drops. Is there any other medicine for fast relief?

#

• There are many types of conjunctivitis.
  • Bacterial conjunctivitis usually causes pus like discharge and stickiness of eyes in the morning. This will relieve quickly with antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin (brand name Moxicip). 
  • Use it hourly for first day then taper two hourly for five days.
  • If you have associated fever, then take antibiotic tablets like Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for five days. 
  • Viral will not have pus like discharge and sticking of lids. It will have only watering of eyes and use same drops, but it will only resolve slowly and may take even a month.
  • You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more clear diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with the pictures to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I have mild stickiness of eyes in the morning and watering of eyes. I have pain especially when I look at light. As I have mentioned earlier, presently I am using Ciprofloxacin drops. Should I change that and use Moxifloxacin? I have attached the picture for your reference.

#

I have gone through the pictures of your eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It looks like a bacterial conjunctivitis.
  • Yes, you have to change drops to Moxifloxacin eye drops hourly first day and then taper to two hourly for five days. 
  • Also, give cold water wash for pain relief and avoid rubbing your eyes.

For further clarifications consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|