Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Which is a better alternative than Ciprofloxacin for pink eye?

Answered by
Dr. Anand
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am having conjunctivitis (pink eye) for the last two days. Currently, I am using Ciprofloxacin eye drops. Is there any other medicine for fast relief?

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to

  • There are many types of conjunctivitis.
  • Bacterial conjunctivitis usually causes pus like discharge and stickiness of eyes in the morning. This will relieve quickly with antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin (brand name Moxicip). 
  • Use it hourly for first day then taper two hourly for five days.
  • If you have associated fever, then take antibiotic tablets like Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for five days. 
  • Viral will not have pus like discharge and sticking of lids. It will have only watering of eyes and use same drops, but it will only resolve slowly and may take even a month.
  • You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more clear diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with the pictures to an eye care ophthalmologist online -->


Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I have mild stickiness of eyes in the morning and watering of eyes. I have pain especially when I look at light. As I have mentioned earlier, presently I am using Ciprofloxacin drops. Should I change that and use Moxifloxacin? I have attached the picture for your reference.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to

I have gone through the pictures of your eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • It looks like a bacterial conjunctivitis.
  • Yes, you have to change drops to Moxifloxacin eye drops hourly first day and then taper to two hourly for five days. 
  • Also, give cold water wash for pain relief and avoid rubbing your eyes.

For further clarifications consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have repeated episodes of sore throat. Why?
I got urethritis and conjunctivitis after unprotected oral sex. Please help.
What are these boils that my brother has on his eyelids?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Recurrent nasal sinus congestion with thick mucous secretion. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, Approximately one year ago, I began to have recurrent, once per month or few weeks approximately, left-sided sinus congestion. Though my nose was never stuffy, I could feel the congestion somewhere between my lower nasal passage and sinus. When I would go to clear this, it would take ...  Read Full »

I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I got conjunctivitis 7 days back. I had red eye with eyelid swelling.  I used Moxifloxacin hydrochloride from the very first day, every 2 hours. Then I started Fluorometholone 4 times a day and Cyclosporine 3 times a day. And now from 2 days I got blurred eye. Redness is gone...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.