Q. Could recurrence of nasal sinus congestion with thick mucous secretion be due to nasal polyp?

Published on Apr 04, 2019

Approximately one year ago, I began to have recurrent, once per month or few weeks approximately, left-sided sinus congestion. Though my nose was never stuffy, I could feel the congestion somewhere between my lower nasal passage and sinus. When I would go to clear this, it would take a few minutes of hard blowing to get it loose enough to exit.

When it finally would clear, the mucous was the strongest, thickest, non-separating gelatin-like, clear or white material I have ever come across. I chalked it up as allergies as I have begin to develop them mildly at the age of 40. This symptom over the last six months became more frequent, and now, for the last week, it is there daily and bright, dark yellow.

The mucous is still very difficult to bring out, and sometimes I am able to bring it through the oral cavity, after incredulous amounts of effort. The mucous is so sticky it wants to stay right where it is. Or could this be a polyp issue, possibly? It is symptomatic of sinusitis as it is an obvious infection, but I am not stuffy at all. I can breathe finely. No fever or other symptoms, aside from very slight sinus pressure, but I sound nasal when I speak like I have a cold.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Do you have a decreased sense of smell or running nose or itchy eyes or watering of eyes or itchy nose? Do you have blocked sensation or choking feeling of the throat? Any soreness of throat or difficulty in swallowing?

Your symptoms do sound like you have sinusitis and possibly polyposis like you rightly guessed. But the only way to confirm the same is to get a professional consult and ask the ENT to do a nasal endoscopy which is an office procedure and simple. Thereafter, if needed, you can subject yourself to a sinus CT scan.

Empirically, you may start a steroid nasal spray and an antiallergic for now. You can start on a mucolytic medicine also for five days. For more details do revert back to me.

| 

Is Levocetirizine sufficient to cure nasal congestion and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old male. I am suffering from nasal congestion and cough. I am taking only Levocetirizine for this. Please help.  Read Full »

I am a mouth breather. Will this cause health problems later?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19. I am partly a mouth breather since childhood. I mean, I breathe through my mouth only while sleeping. Is it harmful? Will I get sleep apnea? I am a thin guy with no snoring issues.  Read Full »

Is there a solution for heavy snoring?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from a heavy snoring issue. With this issue, I am not able to enjoy with my friends when going on trips and even when someone visits our apartment. Is there a solution? My snoring is very severe.  Read Full »